Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, June 10, 2013

The Testigos

Jake titled this picture "Bob, Dog and Hot Tub"
 
Dear Family,
 
 
Honestly, I gave myself a hard time for a couple days this week. I say that because I couldn't stop thinking about Evan and the family for a bit this week. Wednesday morning I had a hard time concentrating during studies. I was praying a lot, but it wasn't until I talked with Elder Cardoso during lunch that I could relax. Then, through more prayer, him, and added recommittment, I was happily able to focus 100% on our investigators for three hours of weekly planning! It really was a miracle. Also--that night I had a dream. I think I've had dreams every night since entering the MTC--and they're all weird haha--but this night was the FIRST one that actually meant anything. I dreamed that I was home in Bountiful running around town asking everyone if they remember anything that happened after the first six months of my mission. I remember feeling very desperate and worried. No one, nor I, knew anything about it. As I thought about it during exercises I realized that too much time is being wished away and too much is being looked forward to for when I get home--even if they are very righteous things! I need to live in the now and look for happiness as it is here right now and all around me as President Uchtdorf taught. I love my mission! I am working hard every day. And I work hard every day to not wish away this precious time. There's so much left to do! The dream, and my recommitment this week, were a nice wakeup to me.

Elder Cardoso and I have had a TOUGH time with Jehovah's Witnesses here in El Mirage. MAN....They are frustrating. And they make me sad. We do not bash with them, look for them, or even try to talk with them. But they cross paths with us and in the worst way too. We have taught and run into some families where the kids have been taught by the Testigos. It is heart-breaking to hear them tell us everything wrong about us and everything they believe to be right about the Testigos. These kids are like 9, 10, 11 years old! It is awful :( We street contacted into an inactive family (the ward didn't know who they were :-/) and set up an appointment. At the appt. the 11-year old girl told us she didn't remember her baptism and that she believes Jehovah is God and she doesn't want to go back to church. It was horrible. I don't know what my Heavenly Father wants me to learn in this because it has happened a few times to us. I don't know why it happens either. Why don't they accept the Joseph Smith story and memorize every name from the Book of Mormon instead of all those Bible names? Why have these kids turned off the light in their life? It has been tough to witness. I have also grown a great love for children so far in my mission so it makes it harder to see them not accept us. We have taught some pretty sweet children. On Saturday we met a family with six kids and talked to them all about church and faith and Heavenly Father and they got so excited they convinced their parents to take them all to church the next day. What a miracle. Sunday night we taught a family with a 9-year-old girl and, out of nowhere, she told us that when she closes her eyes and prays she can see angels. WOW. Children are so close to Heaven. It is sad to see some of them so swayed by the world though.
 
 
What do I think they will talk about in the meeting? Everyone here who knows about it are almost positive it will be member-missionary work. I think there will be a combination of inspiring and motivating as well as a few actual new commitments that will be applied everywhere. I personally think and want it to be big haha. I feel like the members are all pretty into missionary work, they just need a spark to light the wick. I
will tell you all about it.
 
 
Thank you so much for the package! It was very awesome and exactly what I needed.
 
 
I cannot believe Evan is home! That is so cool. I wish I could see him; see how much he has grown, hear all his stories, and hang out with him and the family at home. I am doing fine though and have a lot to do here. The Lord puts a lot of trust into his missionaries, and I'm sure Evan knows that, but there's a lot of work to do in the Estrella Sur area! Keep it real and choose to be anxiously engaged in a good summer rather than a slothful one!
 
 
Love, The only Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment