Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Going On Nine Months in the Same Ward

 
Dear Family:
 
So today has already been super wild. For the third time in a row for me, somewhere along the communication lines the information of my transfer status gets mixed up!! Elder Dodd packed, then unpacked, and we were just told that he should pack. It sounds like he will be going. As for ME: I got the training call on Saturday! It is going to be crazy to turn around and do it again. I am super excited to meet the new Elder and begin it all over again because I loved the last 12 weeks! I am excited to grow even more for this time that I have ahead of me. I have been praying for the new missionary the past few days--I know we will have a great time and do work. Currently, I am packing my clothes, but will be staying in the zone. Or in other words, I am moving apartments to the Estrella NORTH area. Elder Miller is getting transferred and his companion is going to Estrella Sur. Basically, we are both going into new areas [Elder Jones and I (Estrella North and Estrella South)] with new companions, but in the same Estrella Branch we have been serving in. So we are both "shotgunning"-- as some would call it--areas that didn't need to be, but will be because of the direction of the Spirit! I will be in car with my trainee and Elder Jones will be in the area where I have been for seven months with his new companion on bike. We are excited! Confused too. I have full faith and confidence in President Taylor and in the Spirit. I have no problems at all. I guessed--though am not disappointed--that I would be leaving for another part. But I have learned that things are very unpredictable. There are a lot of unique logistics that President Taylor is dealing with. He has a surplus of Spanish Missionaries, and of missionaries in general, so his mind is probably as mixed up as this information that is not really getting to us haha. I have all trust in him though. I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow everything, but this is looking to be what will turn out! I'm pumped.
 
The rest of the week was good. Very good. Halloween day the Surprise Zone was digitilized! We had a four hour meeting about the new crazy iPad minis we got. This is so different. It is so so different. It will take getting used to. Man I don't know where to start!!! Supposedly, those who have them now who aren't going home for a relatively long time (like me) can take them home at the end of the mission. The missionaries before us turn them back in and the ones behind us and here on out will need to buy them upon receiving a mission call. Supposedly. All in all, we are doing Facebook in the apartments, basically anytime in the day and we are planning our days and reporting lessons and weekly key indicators in the iPad. The perks are outstanding! I have been watching 2-3 conference talks a day!! This week--this is funny--I practiced language study for a half hour talking to Siri in Spanish hahaha. It was great. The Gospel Library has EVERYTHING in it for both languages. So I use that for a lot of things. I plan to kick against the pricks for as long as I can in a few aspects- I will still be writing notes in my notebook for meetings, I CANNOT STAND pulling that out to get someone's information on the street or in their homes so I will be carrying around a planner to do that, and I need to use real scriptures and mark them. I am not ready to move on there. I read PMG with the iPad and do all sorts of cool things on it. It is crazy. They are the newest technology. The church is trusting us with quite a bit here. The Hastening continues!!!
 
Yesterday- I had one of the most powerful spiritual experiences of my mission. I may have said it a lot haha; they just keep building off each other. I went to the Mission office in Glendale after the trainer meeting with Elders Miller, Davies, Hancock, and Mason [By the way, I had a blast with them all yesterday. They are all fun and great elders and Elder Davies was my first zone leader (The one who reminds me exactly of Butters) and we talked and had a good time!] and I realized that Elder Dodd and I needed English BOMs. I grabbed two and left with the crew. As Elder Dodd and I were getting ready to leave I threw one in my backpack. For the FIRST TIME in over two transfers I was carrying an English copy of the BOM in my backpack. We stopped by an English street contact and he was finally home. He had questions so we wanted to stop by to answer some before we passed him off to the sisters. He had questions about the "new scriptures" that we have. We caught him on day five of his 10-day fast and we taught him the whole restoration! Seamlessly!!! It was spectacular. He is a religious studier so he knew exactly what happened during the time of the apostasy and all that. He committed himself to reading the introduction and praying about the BOM. He has ALL the signs of being prepared by the Lord. He is good to go. He is honestly and might I add diligently seeking the truth. He is actively seeking it and ready to accept it. He will get an answer. No doubt. The craziest part was the Spirit that hit Elder Dodd and me. I could never for as long as I live deny the Spirit that we felt (at the exact same moment too). And I have always wanted to feel it strong like that. And I did! After we finished up apostasy as I introduced the Joseph Smith story; immediately the spirit hit me. It started in my brow and moved into my whole body. I hadn't really said much. But it got stronger as we got farther into the story. Elder Dodd felt it too. We felt the exact Spirit when I said to Rex that the reason we have the Book of Mormon is because God knew what would happen to the Bible and He knew He would need to bring us the Gospel to us in its fullness. That is the bottom line. So it hit us again there! I know that Joseph Smith saw God and Jesus Christ. Therefore, I believe EVERYTHING that has stemmed from that Spring Morning. I know the Book of Mormon was given to us to clear up a lot of confusion that the world is dealing with. If I ever denied the testimony that I have which was strengthened so powerfully yesterday that would be, to me, denying the Holy Ghost. For me, that is how real that was and how real and foundationed my testimony is. It stops just short of a knowledge for me. We went back and got the other English Book of Mormon and gave it to Jocelyn's sister who wants to read it. It was a solid day of going 2-for-2 on the office BOMs :)
 
I will try to think of what else happened this week.... The iPads are wild. They are frustrating and I am trying to get used to them. I am leaving my 7-month Sun Valley apartments :( That place is my second home behind Bountiful! I am super excited to train and looking forward to the new challenge and plan to work harder with this fella. I have had very very fruitful studies this past week. I started a Book Of Mormon application journal so I am learning so much more about why Mormon writes this things for us today. Who would've known you could apply the first two chapters of Helaman to today! Give it a try, interesting stuff. My mind is all over the place--try to remember more next week!

Love, Elder Parry
PS  We have the Mission tour next week so I am pumped for that Elder Teh of the General Authorities will be here. We get to go to a session at the Mesa Temple in about a month too!! Sounds like home is going great. I can only imagine how fun the day was for Mom by herself in CA :) Go Red Sox!!

No comments:

Post a Comment