Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Staying in Surprise

Dear Family,
 
I will be hanging out with the Surprise buddies for six more weeks! Elder Elliot is getting transferred out of out apartment and Elders Fife and Bangerter are staying. We all kind of guessed it would happen like this so we are doing great. After this transfer it will be nine months for me here, Oh nelly!
 
This week went super great. Going to Mesa was the time of my life! I didn't see any former companions at my conference but it was a really special day. I really enjoyed what Sister Taylor was saying about angels. I got pretty choked up when she talked about guardian angels. Actually, I felt the Spirit really strong as my whole body was tingling then the tingling really converted into a powerful heat. I don't know how to describe it--just that it didn't make me sweat or too hot but it heated up my whole body. Anyway--at that moment I pretty much knew that I have had guardian angels out here--living and past. I know they are all-around me to bear me up. I don't owe it to any specific event other than that moment at conferences and that I just know people are looking out for me on the other side of the veil. It was very special. The Spirit works! The conferences were so awesome. The Mesa Temple was beautiful. The session was really powerful. We got to hug Sister Taylor in the Celestial Room. I felt like we were one big family. I get some major motivation and love kicks whenever I do sessions! I know my Heavenly Father is looking out for me. The Commandments rock. Oh, and I got to drive out to Mesa too! :)
 
The investigators are doing okay. Yesterday Elder Fife and I did splits for the first time so he is getting more opportunities to take the lead. I went with Brother Handley to the Covos. Hermano Covos is a tough man. He wants to know everything before baptism and, like most of the mexican investigators, seems to keep asking questions about stuff we have already taught and repeated. Maybe I am not a great teacher? We read Jacob 4 with him. We were going to teach Word of Wisdom but they just need the BOM in their lives. We both testified of the BOM and the Spirit came strong. It was a good moment to feel the Spirit. That is when I know I am doing my job :) Madai, Genaro, and their 3 kids came to church! Their kids love mutual too! If anything, those kids are keeping the parents coming to church. It is perfect. Hermana Guzman was leaving the chapel and inviting the kids to primary as she went and they jumped and cheered. It was such an OHYEAH moment for us. We had a family night with the Hammond family last night too! They are a couple (RM that went to Peru and Peruvian wife) that started at the Estrella Branch 4 weeks ago. They said they want to be active again and go through the temple. We invited Chilo (invesstigator) to the family night and he brought his brother in law, girlfriend, and two of his kids. It was fantastic. We have been teaching some fun lessons these past few weeks. We taught Hermano Puente's friends on Sunday too! She has come to lots of activities and we shared a Christmas message. We have taught over a dozen Christmas lessons the past week so it has been a lot of fun. People may be busier during the holidays, but the Spirit is touching the hearts of many as they strive to remember the birth of the SAvior. This thursday and Friday we are having two 3-hour tri-ward Christmas parties that are VERY missionary-oriented. We will be singing in Spanish at them and many other things so we are excited. The member-missionary work is really moving forward in the EStrella Branch. The Calendar is serving its purpose. Did I tell you that Jocelyn's two younger sisters will be baptized this Saturday too! I love serving in this branch. I think if I keep saying that though I will serve here all mission! 
 
We had a cool activity in District Meeting this week. We read 2 nephi 31 together and the best way to be able to know how to teach a concept or a principle is to be able to understand it as if you were a 9-year-old. We read it together and all acted like investigators that had never read the BOM before as we went. We all asked basic questions and raised our hands when we didn't understand and taught it to each other. It was a cool experience. Remember that true intelligience is to be able to understand even the most profound of subjects then to break it down so that a nino could understand.
 
All the stuff from home is great. I commend you on the Christmas card. It was very classy. Just wait until I send home my sun-stained clothes! Thank you for all the letters and the packages. I opened the one you sent, and Grandma's too! Christmas in the apartment will be fun. I am sure the new Elder will be fun too. Elder BAngerter has a special assignment with him so it should be a tight-knit group. We will be picking up the other Spanish Elders and Skyping at the Church then bringing them back to play some cards probably. I will probably call between 10 and 2 haha. I will let you know.
 
I am happy things are going well at home. I haven't been homesick for a while so I am happy out here. I miss a lot of stuff at home and occasionally stuff comes into my head, but I am enjoying it out here. It is going too fast to really long for home too much. I miss you all and wish I could be there for all the band-thieving, car-driving, snow-plowing, and church-goeing fun with the whole family. BUt I know I need to be here and I need to be with President Taylor and I need to be serving. I don't feel obligated about any of this either. I feel like I am on vacation from the world but working hard at the same time. I have seen so many connections as I have learned what Heavenly Father has taught me through members, investigators, missionaries, my studies, experiences, areas, my Patriarchal blessing, President Taylor and so many more things. I love it here.
 
Merry Christmas! Love you all very much!
 
Love,
Elder Jacob Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment