Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, July 21, 2014

Graveyard Shift

Dear Family, The week one gets transferred is always the longest week (even though it is typically the shortest between P-days) because there always is a lot to do. This transfer, area, companionship, ward, zone all seem to be off to a fantastic and fun start and the theme for the transfer will be "graveyard shift." I will tell you why. First of all, saying goodbye to all the Estrella friends was AWESOME, basically because I have had so much fun with them and felt so much love towards them. I took some great pictures with some great people. I wish I could've seen all. Pero ni modo esta bien. Elder Castro scheduled 2 lessons with less-active families that night so we went and visited them. We started the rounds of visiting at 8:15 so we had to blitz! Needless to say, The Lord helped us see everyone :) Last night I was at the stake center and ran into a bunch of Estrella members so we are still pretty close. Yes I came to La Joya. It is good here. After having served here a bit (granted this is only a one-week impression) I would opinion that Barrio Estrella is the strongest Spanish ward in the mission because La Joya got the weaker half when the two wards split not too long ago. But the work is moving forward very well and I love the ward. Elders' Quorum was full of some goons (I felt like we were in Deacons' quorum haha). Hermano R. was using the wrong teaching manual, putting Starburst wrappers in peoples' ears (including my own), and doing anything but participating until he got too tired and fell asleep. His neighbor filmed him sleeping. Bishop Menchaka came yesterday for the first time in 4 weeks. Apparently he is gone to Indiana for work so much that he only makes it once a month. Anyway, don't jump to conclusions about the ward. I love it and the members are strong. I am excited to meet more. I have made friends with Hermanos Ruiz, Carcamo, Gaunte, Morales, Marquina, Galarza, Tienda, Grady, and a few others. Great families. We are teaching a few people. One is Reynaldo (people call him "Champion"). He is legit! He came to church and loved it and we read the Book of Mormon with him last night with Hermano Tienda. He is progressing strong and we have high expectations for him. We got into a less-active brother (Hermano Reveles)'s house for the first time in 6 months so we will continue there. As for the graveyard shift, I will just cut to the chase; Elder Dart goes home in FOUR WEEKS along with my roommate Elder Arave. They are getting a head start on school so they go home 8 days BEFORE transfers! Ay-caray! To make a long story longer, any mission and ward responsibilities I am learning right now I will have to take over solo in about 4 weeks. In fact, Elder Johnson will be my companion for those 8 days and we will just happily suffer together. Elder Johnson is Elder Arave's companion. He has been out 10 months and is a strong person, but we are both pretty clueless about these leader responsibilities. However, I am excited for the challenge, and am paying really close attention to detail. Tonight I have an exchange with Elder Weiler here in this area (they threw me under the bus early, but that is okay because Elder Dart has been super nice to me by scheduling a lot of set appointments for tomorrow :). Thursday we are going to the Mission Home so that President Griffin can get to know us a lot better for 40 minutes each. I am excited for that because I would love to be around and learn from him more. So I am getting thrown into the mix of things quick! It was never something I wanted but I am here where The Lord calls me. Speaking of that, transfers were great. Mainly because my testimony of President Griffin and Taylor following the Spirit is like a perfect knowledge now. It is fascinating to me to see Pres. Griffin make what I would think are the EXACT same changes that President Taylor would have done. In fact, I felt like I saw changes very similar when Barrio Estrella changed all the leadership. I have concluded that this style is the style of the Spirit and that all these leaders are following it. It was a cool testimony-builder for me. Sometime when I have more time, I would like to share the specifics that I have observed with how this style works. It is cool! I know President Griffin followed the Spirit. So I guess to cap it off, I am in the same zone. I am the oldest in the zone along with Elders Dart and Reid (like Surprise). I still see Elder Castro and my old district often enough. There is still a crazy-awesome trio of Hermanas in that District. One of the Estrella hermanas got transferred with me to La Joya haha. You might recognize Elder Arave's name. I went on my first exchange with him 18 months ago. I love him and we are having so much fun. We talk about Elder Pollmeier, Agua Fria, he served with Elder Ramos in Barrio Estrella, He lived with Elder Cardoso, so we have a lot to talk about. Elder Dart is the bomb too. He is bold and very thorough when it comes to getting things done. We have taught really well together this week. He is from Logan, UT (Mountaincrest HS) and is going to UTAH STATE in like 4 weeks ay caray. I kind of hope that I don't finish my mission here (I have my pre-conceived plan/dream that I would like to fulfill my last 4 transfers haha; we will see if it happens; probably not), but I would say 50/50 that I will. I am learning a lot out here. President Griffin has already dropped a few memorable quotes. He told us that they are things that we "might want to push our pencils to doing" (He is style Montana-farmboy haha): "Increased worthiness combined with hard work," and "teach someone to enable them to learn. Show someone to enable them to do." Well, sometimes I feel like things are wrapping up here in the mission, but I know what it is that I must do and I am sticking to it to the end of the service out here! I am excited and know there are a bunch more people out there that still need to be talked to. You are all doing a great job. Work hard, pray hard and keep being obedient :D Love, Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment