Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, October 13, 2014

Buzz in the Air

All week there has been a crazy-cool buzz in the air because the
temple opened!!! It is the best time to be a missionary. More than
anything, it is the best time to be a MEMBER of this great church and
Kingdom of God. It is becoming so easy to contact people. They know
about Meet the Mormons, they have heard about the temple. There are so
many missionaries in this area that we are getting seen often! It is
cool. We contacted our Walmart cashier. We showed him the card of the
temple and he started asking a bunch of questions and asking if he
could go. This place is BUZZING! Friday, the day it opened, I was just
feeling the Spirit all day thinking about the temple. I am excited to
go in a few hours! I have so much to tell you about the temple. There
are a lot of people going! Saturday was a wreck, but a bunch of
miracles turned things around. After a lot of coordinating and praying
6 people we were teaching made it to the temple with Hermana Galarza.
We couldn't go because it was too late, but we sent them off! One of
the lady's sons, who is 7, said that he felt something really warm run
up his arms then his mom heard him say, "God is really close." La Joya
is on fire too. Everyone is inviting their friends to the open house
and we are even seeing some new faces at church. The lady that found
Gerardo and Anah took her cousin to the temple and he told us at
church that he wants to be baptized. So we sent the Tuscon
missionaries to him! Oh my goodness Gerardo bore his testimony this
week! He got up there with his chest puffed out (he is a body builder)
and just stood majestically at the pulpit, soaking up the limelight.
He bore a powerful testimony about how he knows the church is true
even after 14 years of inactivity. Then he bore his testimony in the
name of our Heavenly Father. Then he forgot to say amen before pulling
away, so he walked back to say it. Then the meeting ended. Haha. It
was epic. We are going to the temple with them in about an hour! And
Anah is inviting two of her friends. We sent up a temple trip last
night for a couple of investigators for thursday and the Barrio
Estrella friend that is giving us a ride is inviting three of her
friends. We are trying to set another up for thursday afternoon for
Lupita. She came to church finally and the doctrine of baptisms for
the dead really caught her attention so she said she wants to go. It
really is amazing me how alive it is over here. Great place to be.
Like Coach Wall always said "Great day to be a [missionary]!"

Leo Becerra got baptized yesterday!!!!!!! He is Jessica Patino's
boyfriend who Elder Ramos and I met in February. I had a lot of fun
teaching him with Elders Ramos and Castro. I have fond memories of
watching April conference with them, of sending Elder Ramos off to the
Gilbert temple with them, and of praying with him and Jessica in the
chapel of the new Tolleson Building. He had the biggest smile on
yesterday at the baptism. He was SO HAPPY. It was a sweet sight and a
wonderful day for such a great family. Once again, good to be back
with Barrio Estrella.

We had a meeting with President Waldron yesterday. I was with 8 of my
great missionary friends and President Juchau. So a year ago President
Waldron and the missionaries didn't have a good relationship but now,
it is very strong! We had five minutes left in the meeting but PW
wanted to talk a little doctrine so he expounded the Atonement to us
from the book of Mosiah for 30 minutes. We are getting JUSTSERVE
started real soon and 140 of the APM valley missionaries will be
painting houses in two weeks.

I went on an exchange with Elder Castro last week. I didn;t realize
how much I loved him until I was 13 weeks with other companions and
back with him for a day. He has really grown the past two transfers
and is even more loving. I learned a lot from him in such a short
time. I have plans to go to his homecoming soon and make it to his
wedding to when he has it. He needs some support and friends in life
and I am excited to be one of his friends.

Man, if I had more time I would tell you more about all the great
things going on and how I feel the Spirit every single day. This place
is bumping. I love La Joya, I love Elder McCuch, I loooooooooove it
out here. Great day to be a member of the Lord's Kingdom here on
earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment