Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, December 22, 2014

LAST LETTER FROM PHOENIX: #perfectionpending

What a miraculous week. So basically the West Maricopa zone has had a
month baptism record of 14 for 37 months and this month, December
2014, 18 people made a covenant with God and were baptized. NEW
RECORD!!! This weekend 12 people were baptized. We are on pace to
tying the mission record, in a month in any zone, next week (19) AND,
if we see a BIG MIRACLE, we can do something no zone has done in the
Arizona Phoenix Mission before: 20 baptisms in a month. It is
definitely possible; we have some ideas. Pray that our faith is
sufficient as this next weekend comes around.

Angel was confirmed this week, interviewed, and given the Aaronic
Priesthood. It was really cool. He is a quick worker! He is excited to
share the Gospel with his family in Cuba when they meet again. La Joya
was such a blast! The two twins we baptized needed the Holy Ghost too,
but their dad is super Mexican so he is late to a lot of important
things. Bishop Menchaka was folding up the chair after Angel's
confirmation--saying that we will do the confirmations later when
their dad, Peregrino, got there--but as he was doing that, Peregrino
walked through the double doors and just soared right on up to the
stand, out of the blue. It was pretty funny. He cruised right on up
past the congregation to do those saving ordinances while finishing to
adjust his clothes. The Primary gave us very large Christmas boxes! I
got 19 toothbrushes and a bunch of stuff like that. I will probably
take a lot of it to college. This ward loves missionaries so much, it
is such a blessing to be here with them.

Well, I guess I will make a little more purpose to this letter than
most others. It has been an extremely awesome ride. I think the past
two years are much more easily described as joyful and happy rather
than fun. It has been very fulfilling; I couldn't possibly trade it
for anything. It hasn't been too tough--I'm looking forward to life's
challenges when I get back, with a little experience and a strong
foundation to build off of--but it indeed has been downright tough at
times. I have made some eternal relationships with some pretty darn
awesome people. I loved my first six weeks in Peoria--everything I
learned, everyone I met, the people that helped me--but each transfer
since has been better and better. I am looking forward to the same
kind of pattern in my life. They were probably the best two years so
far but I look forward to even more joyful times ahead.

I have learned how to apply the Atonement better to my life.
I have learned how to live the Doctrine of Christ on a daily basis.
I have learned more about myself, who I am and who I can become as I
stay strong.
I learned that I need to get my butt to the temple more (I learned
that before the mission haha).
Despite limited written and spoken communication, I feel a much
stronger love for all of my family; on both sides of the veil.
I have learned that the work is hastening and that, despite our
weaknesses, we are all needed.
I have learned that there is not a more fulfilling work than trying to
be like Christ as we serve and help all others to draw closer to him.
I have learned about the strengthening power of the Atonement and how
we can be transformed as we strive with faith, enlisting the Lord's
help.
I haven't learned tidiness yet.
But I'm still working on that one and a bunch of others, and I will
have them down so well one day. #perfectionpending

See you Tuesday.

With much love, Elder Jacob Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment