Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Friday, March 22, 2013

Challenges--Craig's Response to Jake

This advice to Jake is vintage Craig and almost General Conference material:


Dear Elder Jake,
Just got your email.  Made me laugh.  Made me proud.  Made me happy.  Thank you.
I wanted to send a quick note to you about your “concerns” with numbers.  Remember, Christ said feed my sheep, not count my sheep.  In fact, when the Lord does talk about numbers, He often speaks about the number one:  “And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!” and the parable of the one lost sheep (Matt 18:11-14).
Remember also that the greatest teacher and missionary, with perfect faith, obedience, and wisdom, converted relatively few, and even one of His own apostles fell away.
If you are a good missionary who loves the Gospel and those whom you teach, your mission will be full of disappointments.  Only poor missionaries who do not have strong testimonies and who do not love the people – those who do not care – are not disappointed.  You will be disappointed every time someone exercises his or her agency (that neither you nor even God himself can take away) in not accepting the Gospel.  How sad do you think the Savior felt when Peter denied Him, when Judas betrayed Him, when Alma the younger and the sons of Helaman were going about persecuting His people?

Don’t worry about the numbers.  They are not the measure of a great missionary.  While it is necessary to “return and report,” as numbers and statistics are used throughout the Church to measure progress, identify areas of need, and to move the work forward, they do not necessarily reflect the obedience, effort, and faith of those reporting the numbers.  If you are faithful, obedient, and hard working, the Lord will, without fail, bless you – the blessings may be in ways that are quantifiable or they may not. That is up to the Lord.

Goals are important.  Set them prayerfully and work to achieve them.  But keep the numbers in perspective.  Also, remember that the Lord’s timeline is not yours.  My Mission President asked us to set a baptism goal the first week we were in Japan.  Not knowing any better (and not really realizing that the entire mission was baptizing only 5-10 people a month), I set a goal to baptize 23 people, one for each month I would be in Japan.  One year into my mission, I think I had 4 baptisms.  We set teaching, finding and sacrament meeting attendance goals every week.  Sometimes we accomplished them; often we did not.  But I stuck with my mission-long baptism goal, and Sister Shinoda, who was baptized when my dad and Sean came to meet me, was #23.  But in the end, the number matters little.  What matters is the people we are able to meet and help while serving a mission.
The Lord knows where Hilda is.  Even if you never see her again, you blessed her life by loving, teaching and testifying to her.  The Lord knows that and appreciates your effort.
From D&C 75:

2 Hearken, O ye who have given your names to go forth to proclaim my gospel, and to prune my vineyard.

 3 Behold, I say unto you that it is my will that you should go forth and not tarry, neither be idle but labor with your might—

 4 Lifting up your voices as with the sound of a trump, proclaiming the truth according to the revelations and commandments which I have given you.

 5 And thus, if ye are faithful ye shall be laden with many sheaves, and crowned with honor, and glory, and immortality, and eternal life.

Anciently, grain was cut by hand and tied into large bundles or sheaves which were then carried to the place of threshing. To see a person or an animal “laden with many sheaves” was proof that the person had reaped an abundant harvest and would now enjoy the fruits of his labors.  Missionaries who go out to preach the gospel sometimes return and report that they know not whether they have been the means of converting anybody or not. But if they have been faithful, the harvest is sure. The seed they have sown may sprout and come to maturity years after they have been released.
Keep up the great work.  We love and pray for you.
DCP, Esquire.

No comments:

Post a Comment