Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, March 25, 2013

Speaker in Church

My Dearest loving family,

Thank you for the descriptive and fun email. And thank you Dad for all the thoughtful stuff I have received throughout the week. You is very good at helping me conquer doubts and overcome specific concerns I am having. I would say Dad, Elder Pollmeier and The Spirit have helped me grow by leaps and bounds here my first month minus one day (can you believe that?!) I hit a month in Arizona tomorrow. I feel like I don't have any spare time to think about what day it is, so the time just flies and I end up somewhere I didn't think would come. It's crazy. Although, I still think two years is a LONG ways away, but I am working hard every day, coming to the understanding that I will regret wishing time away if I do, and eventually I know I will realize that the time did indeed fly by) the very most out of anyone/thing. I am surprised with my growth as a person, missionary, and disciple of Jesus Christ, but I am certainly not satisfied. Right now I am amazed at the kind of person I can become in 22 months if I continue this improvement and growth. I need to make sure I don't get caught into "cruise control" or a rut where I stop realizing my purpose out here. I need to fulfill my potential. I reckon the best way to do that is to work! Right? :D

Be sure to tell Mitchell LaDell Gee when you see him that I love him and miss him! I just received a stellar letter from him and it made my day. I laughed a lot and realized how much I miss the times we enjoyed together.

So from one of Dad's letters I saw that Isaac is number 52? Just like Ray-Ray! I love it! Also, the picture makes it look like he's pitching to second base or something weird like that. Either the picture is taken at a funny time or he's confused. Haha. And Sam! Wow has he grown and gained weight the past two months? He definitely looks like a high schooler out there playing ball. I am so excited for him now that he's on that team. You're going to love every minute of it. And I'll be able to watch you play for two years of it. :)

Aight, enough of all that...

So on Thursday night, Hermano Cesar Zayas called me on my way back on the bike for the day. He asked me to speak for 8-10 minutes on prophets in Sacrament meeting. I was pretty shocked. But never, not once, was I nervous. I was so excited!!! (BTW It is easier in Utah wards to get the call at least two and a half weeks in advance. I guess this is how they do that here haha) The talk went really well too. I'm not one to toot my own horn--ANYMORE--but I think it was well-received. I had to read most of it, which I didn't like, but it wasn't hard to write. I just gave the basics and talked about conference coming up, and shared four scriptures. It was fun. I enjoy Spanish a lot. Also, at the end of the meeting Obispo Denoso (Bishop) came up and talked about the meeting. It was also a homecoming. I didn't understand him very well because he speaks in Chilean Spanish and it is fast. But I had it revealed to me by a few members and Elder Pollmeier that he was praising the missionary efforts of this ward, the missionaries around the world, the four serving in the ward, and just the members in Agua Fria in general. It was way cool. I was told that he said he wished he were handsome like me, with slick black hair (I parted it that day), and he also said that my Spanish is way better than any of the kids in the ward. HAHA! Which may be true just cause they speak English and don't even read Spanish. I am learning grammar and everything. It was such a fun meeting though. And Bishop Denoso is straight out of a De Niro movie. Short, plump, intimidating, looks like a mob boss, often says stuff that mean something like "you don't mess with my ward." Haha he's funny and a great guy and doesn't always go by the book.

The biking has continued here in Peoria. It has been a real bittersweet riding the past couple days because to get to one of our investigators' house we take a canal which turns into a sidewalk that basically runs a 180 degree half- circle around the outfield of the stadium on Bell and 83rd. Padres and Mariners I believe. I have also see the Cheesecake Factory and all the other places I am sure you have been to. Did you know that that area of town is the most densely-populated with restaurants area in the United States!? I only heard that, but it sounds right. Anyway, I ALWAYS see games on in there. It makes me sad! Haha. But the lights are on, I hear cheering, not very loud though, and it even smells like peanuts. I get very nostalgic at these times. I cannot believe I didn't come down with any of you before to see the games!! They have sounded, and now they look, so fun!!!! I think I'll be down here every March from here on out. I am truly missing out. Honestly though, I am very happy to be serving a mission here and will be just fine waiting. I only have this one chance in my life to serve the Lord completely with my full dedication. That is what I am doing right now. Oh and I crashed on my bike haha. Be sure to tell Thomas that too because it was his bike. I was not paying attention.... A sign fell across the sidewalk and I ran over it. The bike landed on top of me! HAHA. I didn't rip any clothes though. My belt was scraped and my shirt got some dirt on it. I drew no blood and only bruised in three places. The bike is perfectly fine too. I thought it would've been a lot worse. I guess the Lord was looking out for me even though I wasn't looking out for the sidewalk. Haha. Anyway, it wasn't that bad. Just something kind of fun. Elder Pollmeier made fun of me, and was proud of me for my first crash.

I was reading Mormon, and Moroni, and Ether a little this week in my personal study. WOW. If you want the best writers in the whole Book of Mormon then you read the last three books and pay attention to all of Mormon's commentary throughout the Book. I love reading what Mormon and Moroni have to say just because of how beautifully they say it and string concepts into each other. I also love what they teach. Read Moroni 7 and be amazed. It is Mormon's best doctrine. I loved it. Have angels ceased appearing to men and bringing miracles? Of course not. Men are weak and do not have faith sufficient if angels aren't seen. I was pretty inspired after reading that. Read Ether 12 too. There is so much more to that chapter than Faith. Did you know that Hyrum read verses 38 and 39 to Joseph the night before they were killed in Carthage. Very comforting. Also- The same miracles that happened in Christ's time and in the time of the Book of Mormon can and wuill happen today. We just need to have the faith. Read those chapters when you get the time. And the last chapter of the BOM. It says exhort 11 times. He is strongly urging us to do a lot of things haha. Oh one last thing, In Ether 12 Moroni talks about how weak he is in writing. This always amazes me because he is not. He is very humble. And then verse 27 comes up. In all honesty, it is my favorite Book of Mormon verse. A lot is in there. Through his grace our weaknesses are made strong.

Wednesday morning we had a run and we saw four coyotes right in front of us on the sidewalk! Crazy huh!? They ran away scared pretty quick. But we were so close. And we have seen so many bunnies and lizards. Arizona is cool. I love it here.

Investigators- Not going awesomely well. But we have a lot of potential that is coming our way with some people. Families and others that may be prepared to hear from us. We are excited and positive about the future. It would appear that after 3-4 visits we already reactivated a few of the C family! And the mom wants to serve a mission! The mom also makes the most delectable FLAN known to man, so that is a plus too. But the S Family are bad at keeping commitments and coming to church. I love them, but they need to start understanding the importance of it. That is our job :)

Oh I forgot one last thing! On Friday Elder Pollmeier and I had the opportunity of going to the Easter Pageant in Mesa! It was so cool! The Temple was lit up and there were hundreds of actors portraying the life of Christ on stage. Mesa is 45 minutes away though and we didn't get back until almost 11:00. My two month tradition of falling asleep at 10:40 was broken. I felt weird. The next day I felt weird too. But the Pageant was awesome. Things like that are HUGE catalysts for the Spirit. I felt it so strong--and I understood just about all of the Pageant(we went to the Spanish night)--as I learned more about the life of Christ. Man I love this time of year. How cool is it. The S family went too! We came late, and it was quite a miracle that they spotted us and invited us to sit by them. I saw the Lord's hand in that. On the way home we exchanged Spanish chistes with our ward-member ride and I got to eat six pieces of pizza so life is great.

I wish I had a couple hours to write you all here from AZ. Just so you know I spend 50 minutes on this email and 10 on President Taylor. I need to do better at that, but I love you all! I will have Grandma, Evan, and all you in my prayers. I love you and miss you. Let me know during the week if there is anything specific you want me to share about on Mondays. I miss you! Keep tearing up the baseball diamonds, getting appointed to officer, going to church (DO NOT TAKE MP5 FOR GRANTED), and eating Mom's delicious cooking. There's not much more than PBJs, Cheese quesadillas, and Scrambled eggs out here.

Stay Gold y'all. Get excited for the new Star Trek movie that comes out in two months.

Love you Family (and everyone else who reads these).

Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment