Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Miracles

As of this morning I have entered into my 4th transfer on bike in El Mirage here in the Surprise Zone! I am staying. It is going to be a blast. As we expected, no change for the 4 Estrella Elders. Lots of cool things are happening and Elder Dodd and I are seeing miracles and success so it will be great. Sometimes, especially as I was thinking about this past week, I feel like I bore you with the Spiritual stuff and lack of the "in-between" stuff. I will try and find something interesting to say aside from the MIRACLES!! we have seen.
 
We had Menudo yesterday! It was my second time. Elder Dodd did NOT like it. He kind of just spooned some of the broth in his mouth. I ate all of mine. It is weird; Cow intestine with weird textures, but I didn't care. Just ate. I don't plan on bringing the recipe home for that one however. We had it with Francisco Gamez; he is an investigator who owns a carniceria (meat store) and feeds us every Monday. LOTS OF MEAT. Next week is tamales and seviche. We also had Pizza at Ignacio's and a "part member family" invited us in for Sopes yesterday. They were soooo delicious. The weird thing is I think I am gaining weight even while on bike. Not very ideal haha.
 
To sum up last week and part of the week before I would say that we have seen MIRACLE after MIRACLE after MIRACLE!! One thing to keep in mind though is they were all little ones that are going a long way! Elder Dodd and I stayed up late in bed last night recounting 1-3 miracles that had happened every day the past eight! The Lord keeps putting things on our plate and in our path. We keep joking that our Heavenly Father probably thinks we are lost babies trying to do missionary work and he just keeps needing to give us stuff to do.

A few hours after I emailed you last week Jocelyn G. said to us in middle of sharing a random spiritual thought that she wants to get baptized. She is super excited. She is asking questions about everything. That was a miracle. She is set for the 12th. Maybe the 19th depending on how often we can go over. We are going tonight. Yesterday a street contact called me that I had left a card for and said she wanted to learn about God. First time someone has ever called me back in my mission! We are going over Saturday. The kid we found when our three tires popped is progressing well with the sisters. Rene talked to us for an hour and a half about all his family problems and asked us for help. We  felt prompted to read 3 Ne 14 with him. It worked. He is going to talk to president Aguirre this Sunday and he already feels so great at church! Yesterday a "PM" family invited us in and fed us. We shared 2 Ne 32:8-9 (Something I studied that morning) and the dad started crying and the non member mom asked why we shared that because they were having that problem in their home. I told them the Spirit moved me to share it. It was perfect. We committed them to prayer and church. We found the wallet family again this week after losing them for a week. We are teaching him tomorrow. We talked to his neighbor who invited us over for dinner and a lesson tonight. Clemente is reading more and his wife is cruising! She is on track for her Blessing and the Temple! After a two-week break with Jose H. he told us he missed us and needs us back basically. We taught a lesson with Hermano Covarubbias to Mafia Lou and his "non-member" family this week. The Spirit was STRONG. The three of us testified like bosses haha. We left them with the Restoration movie and the kids' BOM. They are progressing well. For the first time in my mission a member family invited us over to teach "non member" friends/family. The Jenkins invited us over and we taught Hermana Jenkins' mom, dad, and step-mom. They LOVED it. They came from Venezuela for a week and now they are going back. We turned in his information to the mission office, after we got his business card, and we are going to teach him through email and Facebook in the coming weeks. We have the opportunity of teaching one of our friend's parents who live in Venezuela through Facebook! Cool stuff! (BTW We saw Hermano Jenkins after 3+ weeks of not leaving his house. He has a huge and filthy beard. We missed him.) We went on splits last night and had family nights with the Gamez in their home and in Ignacio's home with Rene. The last really cool miracle I can think of right now is that on Tuesday we just got out of a lesson at 5:05 and we didn't want to bike all the way back to Youngtown, eat a little, then come back for our 6:00 appt. We didn't know what to do. I thought we could call Armida Martinez and ask for a bite to eat outside at her house. As Elder Dodd grabbed the phone she drove by, pulled up and we asked her if we could come over. She said she bought extra chicken on her way home and that her nephew was home for about an hour. Right there, I just felt like that was God telling us that He still cares, He is still looking out for us, and that He is always helping us. Even just for some food from a member when we had no other plans. I wish I could remember everything that happened. For some reason, the windows of Heaven opened up this week on us! I think it is because we have been being obedient, diligent in our studies and with our time, and always looking for ways to help and serve others. We cashed in this week!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 
One district in our mission has been testing iphones and ipads since May. They are 1 of 5 districts in the world. I have heard that we could have iphones and ipads by Christmas but we will see. In time.
 
In the package could you possibly put the headache essential oil container in if you can lend it for a little bit. I am fine, I promise. But Hermano J. has had migraines for three weeks and lost his calling in the branch presidency cause he can't leave the house the sun hurts so bad. Anyway, he has tried absolutely everything for his head but nothing works and I love that big man-bear so maybe you could spare that and I can send it back?
 
Sorry I sent the Kid copies of the Book of Mormon to Dad's work. I meant to send them here. Thanks so much. And the tabs are money. I like the system I have going in my Spanish BOM thanks.
 
By the way those Kid's copies of the Book of Mormon are so money! I have seriously placed more of those than the real one here haha. The kids absolutely love them. Good way to get to the hearts of kids and their families. Plantamos semillas! (seeds).
 
I hope the surgery went well and that BYU, Sr. Year, Soph year, Millcreek, and the business trips are all going great. I really enjoy hearing about/from everybody while out here. Thanks for all the good stuff. Wish I could comment about it all-You are all doing great and making me happy out in this thirsty land.
 
I am really bonding with this area. I love it. I am excited to get to a new area, meet new people, and have different adventures but I am in no hurry. I had the blessing of getting to know a lot of people in my first area in Peoria for only six weeks, and now a great branch here. PS Hermano Zayas from Agua Fria just got made first counselor in the presidency here. He is the man. He is bringing more Red Robin this weekend! But I love it here. There is a lot of work here and a lot the Lord is doing to open people's hearts. Plus every day when we take the bridge on grande into our area we get mad respect and a mountain of attention from all the cars driving past! It is cool to have started this area and to be here so long with my third companion. I have been part of some great things.
 
Well, Sorry to bore you again! Hope you are all chugging along. Life here is great and super fast-fastest transfer yet! Thanks for all that you do and don't forget that Mormon always said that the only reasons miracles don't happen is because we don't have the faith yet :) Faith is a gift from God. We need to pray for it and ask for it continually. Love, Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment