Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, January 6, 2014

A New Year

Dear Family,
 
How is life? Sounds kind of wild with the cops and everything. We actually switched to 9:00 church here in the Estrella Branch too. I do not like it as a missionary. We have to get going and get out the door earlier than any other day of the week and we have to come back for studies after. It is okay though. Oh and it is a lot harder for the Mexicans to get to church so that is frustrating. The member missionary work is growing. I feel that it is very strong here in the valley and all across the church. A member couple from the stake had Mexican neighbors so they brought 5 adults and 7 kids to church this week. They enjoyed it and we have a lesson with them on Wednesday. It is very exciting. Actually, this past week was probably the slowest one I have had since coming into this area. We did not teach very many lessons. Not a great start to the year! We are repenting and committing to setting things up better. In thinking about the new year, I have personally decided that New Years' resolutions are society's ways of selling a reason to change to us. Sometimes in our minds we have to sell the idea to ourselves that it is a good time to change. It usually works! I am not talking down NYR at all--they are great and they are nothing but positive--depending on how long we stick to them! My conclusion is that the great part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is that change/repentance can happen NOW, and at ANYTIME, and it is lasting and continual. It teaches us to change all the time. That gives me reason enough to set resolutions every dayand evaluate and re-set. NYR can be seen as "visions" that we have for ourselves. And the things we do every day are plans and tasks to reach the goals we have. Done ranting.
 
Saturday we get to see Elder Holland! In Tempe--Road Trip! with two other missions! Maybe I will get to see some friends. Who is serving in other missions in the valley? Anyway, we are all very excited, and I strongly desire that he chastises us. I hope it personally hits me at the core too! He is good at what he does. We also have a Trainer/Trainee meeting, interviews, the Gilbert temple in the next three weeks so Transfers are actually coming really fast. Like every transfer! Speaking of Gilbert- we are really hoping it works out. We were not wise in selecting members and trying to coordinate it so we are resorting to trying to put it together. I hope we make it there....
 
I learned a lot about "becoming" this past week. There is a difference between becoming and "doing." I realize that I have been doing a lot of little things the past year because I know they are right and because I want to be obedient. These are good things but I can do better. I need to become what I want to become and what my Heavenly Father expects of me. Of course, it has to start with doing (Law of Moses; memorizing missionary discussions) but I have been doing long enough. I am ready to see how put-into my veins I can make some of these habits. I have decided that is the best thing I can do going into the new year. Focus on the kind of person I am becoming for my conversion and the rest of my life rather than just flipping the switch when I feel olbigated to doing something.
 
New Years was okay. We shared an Atonement message to the Rama Estrella hermanos who all played soccer at the park together, we had a lesson with a strong member family at 5:00 and they fed us a little bit. We went to Chile's with our roommates to use some gift cards we had so that was very nice. We hung around the apartment, played a little cards, and did some deep cleaning. We got all our studies in too! The night before we went to the Sorianos again at 6:00, got in at 7:00 and cleaned and played a few games until 10:30. Then we woke up to an alarm that someone set for 12:00, cheered and groaned, and went back to bed again haha. I went on bike this week for an exchange with the English Elders. It was cold and my legs are very sore haha. I honestly can't believe I am cold outside when it is 60 degrees? It is weird.
 
I respect your wonderful new ideas for this year mother! Don't worry about having to buy me anything. You don't have to send me anything until my birthday--you don't even need to send me anything then! That is a cool resolution though. Oh and we have already finished the pancakes after four breakfasts together. They were VERY GOOD. And the syrup was delicious too. We are overloaded on candy though so don't send any of that please. We think that's why we all got sick too haha. So is Evan off to school again? Has he picked a major yet? I enjoyed your last letter Dad. The pictures of the choir concert were very intriguing--The new foyer looks like a hotel lobby! Sam and Caroline-more pictures! You should let me know what is going on at Bountiful High. I feel like that was a second home for me for so long. I miss that place. How are the people and administration doing? Is Isaac every going to cut his hair? I used to hate it but with more pictures I think I am starting to like it. You can keep it. Sorry to bore you--can't think of anything else.
 
Love,
Elder Jacob Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment