Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, January 20, 2014

A Sermon

Dear Family,

This week was great. We had interviews with President again. I love
them. They are a lot better now because I used to get very sad when
they were over. I am learning how to be be self-dependent and to look
for answers and help on my own so I don't need to rely on PResident
Taylor so much. He is doing a good job at teaching it too. I had some
great experiences turning to my HEavenly Father this week too (I will
write about them). In my interview, I felt the Spirit exceptionally
strong as soon as PResident starting talking about the Branch. It got
even stronger and more obvious when he mentioned our great Branch
President, President Aguirre. It was a very strong Spirit and a
memorable experience. I know that both these men are called of God,
and more specifically, put in their positions right now to influence
certain people and to do their roles at this specific time in this
specific place. I know it was expedient for The Lord to put them there
to help and influence so many people. I admire them both very much.
Why couldn't I be placed here for specific people at a specific time
too? We all have our own roles and it is good that we fulfill them to
the best of our ability and then we will have done what The Lord
expects. I have been reading and sharing the phrase "with all of your
might" in the D and C a lot this week. Notice that it doesn't say
another missionary's might, or someone else's might, or with the might
of ten. The Lord expects us all to work with all of our might. If we
only talk to one new person a day because of our daily life
circumstances then The Lord expects us to leave them better off then
when we first met them. Give a smile at the least, do everything you
can to leave an invitation though! We are expected to do what we can
do. So let's do it with all of our own might!

I went on Exchanges with Elder Parsons this week. It was very cool. I
love learning from other missionaries, older and younger, and to see
their style, habits, testimony, and learn from their examples. Elder
PArsons is very cool. HE is 27 years old. He was inactive between the
ages of 16 and 24. He gave up professional soccer and a few other
things to be here. He has great faith and a strong understanding of
the Gospel--how to LIVE it and how to BECOME. We had a great time. We
visited a white family that had moved from Utah. We showed them a
Hastening the Work video--they were related to the reactivated people
in it so they cried and shared how the Spirit moved them here to AZ so
they could meet specific neighbors. They have talked to 4 families on
their street and already invited one of them to church within a week.
They have caught the vision.

In my studies on becoming I have decided to start with prayer. Prayer
is just to rote for me right now. I had some wonderful studies
starting in the right place: The Book of Mormon. I read some of my
favorite stories; when the prophets are praying--Alma 8, 29,31 Mosiah
26 Enos, Ether 12, 2 Nephi 4 and some others. I learned a lot. I
learned how the Spirit taught several principles and lessons to these
prophets as they were praying. I have had similar experiences this
week! I prayed a couple times this week with no words but with pure
emotion!!! It was really cool. Something you would need to try to be
able to try to describe. Since the mission has encouraged praying,
bearing testimony, and reciting scriptures in Spanish I have been
doing all my personal prayers in Spanish. I feel it is easier to be
less rote. I feel the Spirit telling me what to say and ask for as I
really pay attention to my feelings and the Holy Ghost. I feel myself
praying for different (unique) things. The more I can understand my
relationship with my Heavenly FAther, the more natural prayer will be
for me. It will be as natural as breathing. I need to always be about
prayer instead of just getting on my knees and doing it at the times
when I know I should. They were some powerful changes wrought upon me
this week!

We get to go to the Gilbert Temple this week! On tuesday we will be
going with Ignacio and Luz--recent converts of the Branch. I have
heard it is a spectacular sight.

I have two challenges for you all!!!!! One- I wanted to do this, but
could not because we can't watch or post youtube videos on facebook.
Look up the trailer for the New Joseph Smith Movie on Hulu. It is on
the main LDS.org page. Watch the trailer, like it on FB, rate it when
WATCH the movie if it is available at the home, and help get that
advertised! It is yet another new and excited tool the church has.

So; watch and advertise that trailer.

Also- We have begun the Book of Mormon as a mission. We are
highlighting the Gospel of Christ using 6 different colors for the 6
main points to the Doctrine of Christ. It is opening my mind and
changing my outlook on what the Book teaches. I challenge all, Dad,
Mom, Sam, Isaac, Caroline, Evan, and Thomas to read the Book of
Mormon, paying attention and marking the Doctrine of Christ and having
it done by the end of the Summer! If you think it can be done sooner,
then do it! Send me a brief key learning in each letter or email you
send me so you can help me learn too :)

Read, Study, Learn, Live, Love the Book of Mormon. It will continue to
change your lives!

Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment