Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, February 17, 2014

Birthday Tomorrow!


Today at 1:45 PM
Dear Family,

So I don't know if I told you about the Berrelleza family or not, but they are WAY cool. We go over their sometimes. The Hermano is a recent convert and the Hermana is a returning member. Hermano woke-up one night and said "we need to go to a church!" And his wife told him "we could go to mine." So they came and he got baptized a few months ago (by Elder Linkogle; car crash Elder) and the rest is history because they are REALLY strong and excited about the Church. All the recent converts I have met out here are the best! I love learning from them and being with them as they learn. They are so humble, they just take things in so humbly (Mosiah 3:19). The Berrellezas are so awesome though. Climax of the story: They got a call from "Elder Perry" last week. He spoke poor Spanish and asked them if they had done a church survey for recent converts. They figured they were talking to me and they said they did. The number was actually a Utah number and when we showed them a video of THE L.T. Elder Perry they were like "That is his voice!" They were so happy. We were too, it was funny. So we printed a picture of him off and gave it to them. I think they said they are going to frame the picture haha.

Elder Ramos and I had a really fast week. We taught the most that we have since being together so that was really nice. We finally taught the Olivo family. They are prepared by the Senor. We went with Hermano Murrietta and they are going to pray and read and they will know pretty soon! We also had a good experience with Leo and Jessica. Elder Ramos REALLY wanted to go to the Gilbert Temple. It didn't look like it was going to work out though, but we pulled it out of a hat last minute (like last time)! I couldn't go so Elder Ramos went with HErmano Barrera (did I tell you about him? He is soooo goofy I love him. He always says "Elderes de Israel como estan?" and he tells us his love stories from his childhood and says that "es que el corazon no tiene leyes! {the heart has no laws}" He also sings us Mexican love songs with his guitarra. He is so much fun and has very strong faith.) They had a fun time though. Leo and Jessica went with them and they expressed desires to be baptized, shared their feelings in the temple (the Spirit) and have even defended the Mormon Faith against friends on facebook! We are looking forward to meeting with them when we can get the chance to. While they were at the temple I was in a tri-panionship and had to go to 2 district meetings. Ugh.. haha. We taught many lessons this week to a lot of "less-active" members. It is nice to be teaching again! We had exchanges this tuesday. I went to the La Hoya ward (Elder Cardoso's old ward) with Elder Garcia-Cecenna--the best part about the West Maricopa zone is there is so many SPANISH missionaries. There are 6 Spanish elders and 6 sisters. So I went up with Elder Cecenna in his bike area. He is from Mexico and can't speak english and he is being trained. It was fun to be back on bike. We had a blast together! We were joking around in Spanish all day and we drove our bikes 5 times through Marijuana park (being closer to the city is crazy). I learned a lot from him and from Elder Ramos this week.

The ward is still great. They feed us well, help us with lessons, and even coordinate pretty well. Obispo Cid is a boss.

Elder Linkogles and Jenson were the Elders in the car crash. Elder Linkogle actually came out with me and we served together in Surprise for three transfers (I don't know who's fault the crash was--doesn't really matter to me). They are serving in North Phoenix. It sounds like they are both going to be fine.

I am cheering hard core for you at your presentation Mom! It will be a good birthday present to me to hear that things went well and that the Relief society enjoyed your good counsel. It sounds like I need to prepare a presentation for some Seminary class. I facebooked Brother Beynon like 5 months ago about it and haven't heard anything from him. PResident Taylor chatted with me for a minute about it during our Zone activity last week. I was caught super off-guard... Still don't really know what I am doing and didn't know that it would be this week! MAybe someone who goes to Bountiful could tell Bro Beynon to facebook me back. Nevertheless I am excited to do it and will prepare something worthwhile for the great opportunity.

Sounds like home is going well for everyone. Even if I don't reply or write to people I still pay attention to what is going on, cheer and pray for y'all. Caroline- if you don't make it to BYU you can come to the Air Force Academy with me! But you will don't worry. Although--what is Evan doing? Flying under the radar? "grown-up adult?" haha jk.

Elder Ramos and I enjoyed our Valentine's Day! It was probably one of the more fun holidays of my mission. We didn't stay in at all of course, but we had dinner at Pete's Fish and Chips (Free for missionaries!) and at the end of the night we ate at Culver's Frozen Custard (It was no Nielson's but it had been awhile since I had one! And it is starting to heat up--here goes!). Elder Ramos and his sweet tooth are in love with that stuff so I told him when he comes to Utah we are going to Nielson's.

Elder Ramos and I are working on following the Spirit better. That is one thing I will have to be fine working on the rest of my life--but I can learn a lot about it in these two years! We have noticed that our best days, experiences together have been when we have humbly followed the Spirit. I know the Spirit is there to guide us and what it takes to follow it is the right balance of using the formula we are taught and letting it all go when the time is right.

Ran out of things to say! Love you all and hope you have a great Jake's Birthday tomorrow!

Love, Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment