Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, May 5, 2014

Going Fast

Dearest Family-

This whole mission thing is going by way fast. Have you ever just woken up one morning and found out that you are old? Well it happens in the mission too. I have been the oldest in my districts for the last 7 transfers. The problem is I feel like the same moron I came out here as! We had an epic lesson in Elders' Quorum yesterday. Presidente Cid asked everyone to find their favorite scripture and tell why. Many of them shared and some of the grown men who did cried as they shared them. Presidente Cid then asked them how they can use them to share the Gospel. We shared some ideas and some hermanos had doubts too about why it is hard, then other hermanos came to the rescue and bore simple, powerful testimony about how we can do it. 3/4 of them are converts and many of them shared how they found the Gospel. At the end, I shared that the reason it is hard is because Satan exists and his power increases as the work hastens. But that we need not worry because we know who is going to win and we know that success is in trying. The Spirit was powerful. Also- this week I watched Elder Holland's last April talk about Fan the Fire of your Faith and it was so powerful. I haven't felt the Spirit that strong watching a conference talk before. I am not exactly sure why but I know the Spirit can come and be there when you need it, or more importantly, when The Lord knows you need it or knows you need to hear something. I felt that his talk can be a message to everyone that they have a testimony. We all do. It starts with believe and if it is something that we feel good about now we can know that we will never deny it--just maybe get a little lazy about it.

I guess what is going on here? Sorry I didn't take any photos this week. I intend to soon... We had a HUGE Latino cinco de mayo party. It was wild. There was all sorts of mexican food, dancing, singing, and live DJ-ing at the new Tolleson building. It was fun! There were non-members there. Ernesto y Mariana are so hard-core progressing! They were just made for the church and the ward is taking them in. Rosa is frustrating us. Well she is still awesome but her husband isn't. She got moved back to the 18th. We love her so much and we know she will get there so pray for her with us! Thanks so much. Hermano Murrietta is still leading the missionary force without fear. He is so funny. Hermano Patino makes Elder Ramos and I laugh a lot too. The whole ward is great. I don't know if I told you, but I hope I stay in this ward and this district the rest of my mission!!!! I love Barrio Estrella. But I feel like picking a favorite ward or area is like picking a favorite child so I won't go there. Also- Elder Ramos is one of the strongest missionaries I have ever worked with. He amazes me every day. He is going places. I love it here and am very happy.

I love you family! Hearing about AP tests, baseball, warm spring, the Red Sox, and just being around together just makes me homesick. I am fine and happy here. I am not in a rush to go home, but I can't wait to see you all again! Mom, I love you so much and have thought about you a lot lately. See you all Mothers' Day! :D I have had dreams every now and then about home. This week I dreamed that I saw TJ and Dallin in front of Dick's market after 2 years and we all cried and hugged. I also dreamed last week that I came back to the mission with Dad to visit all the areas I served in to see all the awesome members of the church I have met and worked alongside with down here. I don't remember anything specific aside from what I felt. I felt so happy and so proud of all these people. So grateful for their service and example. I love this people down here! I truly am developing a strong love for them because they are so great. It has been my favorite part of my mission down here; loving the people. If that is the #1 I leave the APM with, that I didn't have before nor expect to get out here, then I will be a happy returned missionary. I know you are all doing great things and I know you are all actively strong in the Gospel. I KNOW it is how we can live as happy families because I have seen the difference it makes in families down here. The Arizona Hispanic LDS culture GETS IT. They just get it. They know how to live it and that's why they are happy. I look forward to seeing you all next week and in December too. It will be a long time coming! And I hope Sam plans enough ahead of time to have the right New Years' party set up for me. I want it to be the craziest shocker he can find haha :D

Love, Elder Jake Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment