Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, June 9, 2014

Elder Castro

Dear Family,

The "Mormons Next Door" event went well! There were about 8 nonmembers
that came to the event and a few of them asked questions. The Estrella
Sur Hermanas are teaching one of them now. Ernesto and Mariana came
and they really enjoyed it. They came to church this week. Mariana for
the 8th straight time, and they will get married as soon as they just
echar las ganas! So we will see with them. The activity was cool
though. I had a special job to click each time we needed a new slide
:) it was a cool Public Affairs presentation made by nonmember polls
and facts about the church so people know what it is.

Mi nuevo companero is Elder Castro!!! He is a lot of fun! He was born
in Michuacan Mexico, raised in Baja California and has lived the past
7 years in Salt Lake City. He went to Granger High School. He speaks
English very well, but he is still learning a little. He came out just
a little bit after me. He was called to serve in the Farmington New
Mexico mission but came over when we got Flagstaff last July. He
served in Wickenburg when I was in Surprise so we had known each
other, exchanged referrels, and had a lot of meetings together before.
When I left Surprise and Elder Fife, he came into my spot and served
with him. We have a lot of connections and we are actually quite the
boss companionship, so we decided that it will probably only be a
one-transfer companionship. He is a little younger than me but it is
nice to be with someone for the first time since last JUNE that has
been out for at least a year. He is funny. He reminds me of the poly
friends. He is super polynesian for some reason haha. He laughs a lot,
isn't always focused on what we are doing, and just lives the poly way
of life. But he works hard and is a master teacher. We have already
had some good experiences together. He is strictly obedient and a
repentant person. He is helping me to be repentant myself. Not to
creat a burden, or to point out what we are doing wrong; it is simply
because he has a testimony of ROI (blessings received) and he doesn't
want us or I to miss out on them. I feel myself being more humble and
open to suggestions. We are going to have a lot of fun and get work
done too. Last night was the end to a kind of tough week as far as
getting into people's homes and at 8:30 we stopped by someone's house
that Elder Ramos and I had street contacted before. Martin, Monica,
Marissa, Angelito, and Ashley all let us in to have a prayer with
them! It was B-U-TEE-FULL! We felt the Spirit and they look just like
a Mormon family. So we will let you know how they progress! Slowly but
surely.

This weekend was Stake Conference. It was boss. Sunday was kind of
boring--the youth speakers; dramatic, the stake President; dry--but
the Work of Salvation adult session was EPIC. I told Sister Taylor
that it was one of the most inspiring meetings of my mission. After
President Taylor spoke and the meeting ended, the Lermas (member RM
couple sitting next to us) leaned over to us and said they have a
friend to invite over for us to teach. I asked his name, they said
Calvin, then we had dinner and a lesson with him yesterday! It went
great. Victor Sanchez, someone I had interviewed and have met through
Elders Boyce and Busick. He is absolutely golden. He got baptized with
his family last month and he and another person (Brother Kpodo) shared
their conversion stories. Absolutely inspiring. The Spirit was very
strong and these two people are so converted. They were teaching us
from the stand. Victor shared with us the Doctrine of Christ and said
that he is only in 1 Nephi right now so he only had 1 Nephi verses to
relate to the Doctrine. It was much cooler to see someone relate those
verses to the Doctrine rather than hearing the same Topical Guide
verses we here in every single talk. These people are very special.
Hopefully people were inspired. A mom of 3 missionaries spoke and she
was way funny because I was reminded of our dear Mother Becky haha it
was awesome! She said that the first time she called her son for
Christmas that when she heard his voice she yelled "MY BABY!" and all
the other missionaries in the apartment heard and made fun of him for
a week haha. Stuff like that. Sister and PResident Taylor spoke too.
President Taylor spoke by the Spirit LIKE A BOSS. He told his 24
missionaries to stand up and said something to the effect of; "Victor
Sanchez and Brother Kpodo are miracles of conversion in the Gospel. I
was at their baptisms and they had smiles from ear to ear. The Spirit
testified so strongly of these saving ordinances. Sister Narramore;
your sons mean the world for you, but they don't need more clothes or
packages from you. They want to teach, they want to serve others. I
have here 24 of our finest servants. And here--in the West Maricopa
Stake, is THEIR sacred ground and they want to serve with you! So quit
being spectators to this great work." He said so much more but I don't
remember everything. Just how I felt. It was a Spirit Slam down for
me! We sang the hymn about the sheep that are wandering and helpless
and cold and the chorus for the fourth verse changes: it says WE'LL
HASTEN instead of He (Christ) Hastens. This work is hastening!!!!!!! I
will try to never forget that night.

Transfers were fun too. Not as many fireworks as I expected but it was
very emotional for PResident and Sister T. They showed us the first
transfer video they made (from 3 years ago). It was cool. We saw the
last PT transfer video and sang the Marvelous work hymn for the last
time too. A lot of memories for me since that was the 7th and final
transfer meeting I have had with them at the head. President left the
charge with the mission that we RISE UP. He said that we are living
far below our potential, and it is true. There is so much more to be
doing and improving and PResident wants to see us rise up. The biggest
concern I have with the Hastening of the Work and Rise Up right now is
I am so emotionally invested, excited, willing, and energized to catch
the wave; I just don't know how to best do it. I feel like our whole
district is that way. I wish we could somehow bottle up all this power
and send it in the right direction efficiently. I will be studying how
to best hasten the work in my own sphere this week. There is a lot to
do. I just don't know exactly what. I will start by doing what I have
always done, doing what I know is right, and improving on what I know
I can improve. But I want to see miracles (not for my sake at all, but
for those of whom we serve), and make sure this work hastens how it
should while I am out here in this specific companionship, area,
barrio, and District. So pray and study for your own inspiration of
how you can hasten the work!

The District changed a lot! We lost 3 and gained 4! Elders Busick and
Ramos left and Hermana Polomino left too. Hermanas Stanley and Johnson
came and Elders CAstro and Miller came too. Miller and Johnson are
being trained so they are brand new! Hermana Stanley came to Estrella
Sur and is a tri-panionship now! Que loco! It is an exciting District
and I am happy to be in the same spot in which I am. This District is
way cool. Elder Ramos went to Monte Vista (North Phoenix) which is
like 10 miles to the right and 10 miles to the north. PT said that he
would love to send us on splits so I can help translate for him at his
doctors appointments :)

Can't wait for Sister T to text me next weekend and I hope you enjoy
your Italian pizza!!

Love, Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment