Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

And So We Left Her With a Book of Mormon and Went On Our Way

May 21, 2013

Dear Family,
 
I am here in the Arizona Phoenix Mission to stay. The boundary changes with Tempe did not affect me. I wasn't on the transfer list. So I have to endure at least six more weeks with the Brazilian haha just kidding. But we will be losing a lot of Spanish speakers tomorrow to the mission so that is crazy!

This week was WILD! I am so grateful to have seen the Hand of the Lord in so many ways in just the past few days.

I will start by talking about the Zone Conference we had last Tuesday with President Taylor. He is one inspired man. We talked about a few things that Elder Nelson shared with 70+ Mission Presidents in the Southwest a few weeks ago. We talked about the Gathering of Isreal. The Book of Mormon is a literal sign that the gathering has begun here for the last time in the last dispensation and is, thus, coming to a close. CRAZY!!!! Also- Ephraim and Manessah were promised the American continent as their land of inheritance and we are bringing the Book of Mormon back to this people (Ether 12:25)!!! I am getting so fired up about it. This work is literally so huge. SOO BIG. I did not think that my whole life growing up. SO BIG. The hastening of the work is so huge too. And has the hastening stopped?? No. President also told us about BIG THINGS to happen this coming June. Big things in the church and in Missionary Work. June 23rd is the date of a big church conference that 'all interested church members' have been invited to watch. Presidents Monson and Packer and others will be speaking. It will be HUGE. It is titled "Work of Salvation." President assured and reassured us to expect big things. For members and missionaries. The work is exploding right before our eyes. And it is up to us to BE A PART OF IT. Please don't sit back and watch. Now is the time that thousands of prophets before us have prophesied of. It is safe to say that Isaiah and Mormon are rolling all over in their coffins about right now (was that sacreligious?).

This Saturday was the baptismal service for the 8-year-old Cassandra Sanchez. Miracle after miracle took place in this process this weekend. Because we delayed her date after her parents got baptized so we could teach her a little more in English, she became the responsibility of the ward and was not a number for the missionary cause. We didn't care at all. She is the cutest person! She was so ready to be baptized. We put a lot of work in putting together the program. Elder Cardoso and I asked ourselves why we were using so much of our time and effort for this when it doesn't really help us accomplish anything for the missionary cause, but we really wanted it to be a special day for Cassandra. And it was. the Primary sang a special song, two very great talks were given about Fe and the Expiacion (The one speaking on the Atonement thanked us after because she really needed the Atonement right now. She was almost in tears. Who doesn't need more of the Atonement in their lives?), we watched the first vision, and Mario (Cassandra's Dad, who was given the priesthood an hour before the service) performed the baptism! Once again, the spirit confirmed to me that this ordinance is real and yes, Cassandra was ready.

I got to be in the circle for Hermano Mario Sanchez' Priesthood. The Priesthood is REAL. This is the actual power of God on the Earth today. There is not a doubt in my mind of that. I have felt it and seen it my whole life and on my mission as well.

On Sunday Hermano Jenkins from the ward told Elder Cardoso that I would be confirming Cassandra. I was a little scared at first and then said, "we should just leave it up to Cassandra." Elder Cardoso inquired of her, and she picked me. Soooo It was me. WOW was that special. I was nervous at first about the Spanish then I decided that is not what I should be feeling and to just let the Spirit take over, and He did. I said everything scripted right and then the unscripted part, just came right out. The Spirit definitely worked through me to her and my words. The Holy Ghost is real.

Thursday was not that fun. Thursday was off. The reason I say this was because I just felt sad and down at the end of the day and hoped for a better Friday with more fulfillment and 'success.' That is exactly what happened. On Friday we knocked a door of a referral. It wasn't the referral we were looking for but it was a SPANISH couple who invited us in to have dinner with them and talk. OF ALL THINGS, we talked to them about baptisms for the dead. They are interested. They are definitely in the search for the Gospel. Then we left that house for Youngtown for the rest of the night. On our way there we met a man who needed help getting the cap off his gas. I tried and tried to no avail. Elder Cardoso popped it right off. We got his information and left. Then we saw a car on Grand that needed to be pushed to the gas station. We helped push and got their information. At the gas station we ran into the guy again with the gas cap problem and a Catholic offered to by us drinks because he really respects us. We accepted and talked to him for a bit. A few minutes later an old black lady opened her car door and yelled and asked if we were Jehovah's Witnesses and if we had anything to give her to read because she likes reading their stuff. I said we aren't. Then she said Okay bye! Then I said "But we have something better for you to read!" She said "Bring it here!" And So we left her with a Book of Mormon and went on our way.

The Lord is in the fabric of our missions and lives. Success isn't just member present lessons and getting people on date; it is being the tool the Lord would have you be and being worthy of His Spirit to guide you. The Lord put people in our path. Are we going to teach any of them? No. More than likely we will never see them again nor hear whether they accepted the Gospel or not. But God knows where they are and he helps them through us. It was a magnificent day.

Well I finished being trained on Sunday night. It is kinda crazy. Four months in my mission.... You should know that I know exactly what to do! NOT. Haha. I still do not know what I am doing, but I am learning every day and trying to be humble so as to be worthy of the Lord's teaching. The mission is tough but I am patiently learning and trying to improve. I still have a lot to do and learn, and I am trying not to get stressed about it.

Sorry it was so long this week, I think I forgot a couple things too.

Love you all.
Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment