Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, May 6, 2013

Five Investigators at Church

May 6, 2013

Dear Family,

Life in the Estrella Branch is awesome! I will start off with the highlight of my day yesterday.. We got five investigators at church! It was spectacular. Letecia game with 3 of her 10 kids and she decided to invite her friend for some reason who lives by her. We made follow-up appointments for both of them so that was sweet :) Also--Jose Hernandez finally came! He is a very bright, happy, and very caring person. His family is against the church but he is very open to it. He has been trying to please both us and his family so it has been hard for him, but he came! Someone bore their testimony about Helaman 5:12 and he felt so bad cause he thought he needed to read it before the meeting so he was frantically flipping through the book, looking for the passage so he could read it. It was special! And I helped Letecia and her friend sing the hymns during sacrament. That was special too.

Cinco de Mayo was interesting haha. We had to be in our apartments two hours earlier than usual in case there was mucha gente borracha, but the truth is that Mexicans don't really celebrate it. It is an American excuse holiday kind of a thing. Their independence day is September 16. Anyway, we got in at 7:00 yesterday, worked on our area book, cooked some spaghetti, did other productive things, and got in bed at 9:30! It was actually a really special night for me and hopefully Elder Cardoso too because we just laid there for an hour and talked. We talked about a lot which was so nice. We know each other well now I love it. That is key to being able to have the Spirit guide you. You have to be in it and tuned-in as a companionship to have the Spirit. He has really been helping me to loosen up, enjoy my mission, and be satisfied with my efforts. I am seeing habits change for the better. He is a great teacher.

It is crazy, I am trying to think of a specific happening to tell you about from my week but it went sooooooooo fast. I cannot believe how quick that week went. We didn't have a lot of lessons because people just keep canceling. So we did the work as best as we could do it for seven days and definitely had a few good spiritual experiences. One of them: We were biking to an inactive's house to contact him and we stopped to talk to a lady on a jog. We ended up talking for 35 minutes in the street. I tried to understand as much as possible, but basically we just listened. she talked for 30 of the minutes, with a little crying in between, while we basically testified during the five minutes we had. I learned that sometimes all people need is someone to listen to them. That is exactly what Julia needed. She had been praying to run into someone to talk to that night and so we testified to her that God was looking out for her and that things will get better in her life. It was a special experience. We have something scheduled with her so I will let you know how that goes. Never forget the importance of listening! It is one of the most selfless things you can do for others! Genuinely listening and caring about the person speaking can open up their heart and allow you to enter. That is how the Gospel first needs to be preached; listening and caring.

We set a goal as a zone for the month of June: 20 baptisms. 19 is the APM record. We are all pretty stoked, but we understand that the task we are undertaking is a big one. Elder Cardoso and I are working and fervently praying toward this goal now. There are ten companionships so to do our part we need to prepare and baptize two people. We can do more than that in June, but we are REALLY focusing and praying for some people we have in mind. I am excited, because I know we will do it. Yesterday during my fast I prayed and promised the Lord that I would do absolutely everything in my power to bring about this goal. I mentioned that I obviously cannot do it without the Lord's help, but that whatever needed to be done by me, would be. I was 'wrestling' with the Lord like Alma! I am now really looking forward to the month ahead, and as I keep my promise to do all that I need to and all that is placed before me, it is going to be a really tough month, but I want it to be.

Two more weeks and I'm done with training. I cannot believe it! I'd like to say I'm not exactly ready for all that the future holds and all the Lord has prepared for me to do but then again, was anybody in church history? Haha President Joseph Smith would probably laugh at that comment. I hope all is well in Bountiful. La tierra prometida!!! Love you all and I look forward to talking to you next week :)

Love, Elder Parry
 
PS I just remembered about a dinner I wanted to tell you about. On Thursday, we had a dinner at an inactive's (Who Elder Cardoso got to come to church yesterday--like a boss). They fed us carne asada, rice, menudo (cow intestine soup; it's actually pretty good), and a bunch of avocados. It was so much food and we ate it ALL. I am getting fed really well down here don't worry :) I would be gaining a lot more weight than I already am if it weren't for the bike rides in the boiling sun haha

No comments:

Post a Comment