Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, July 8, 2013

Lots of Baptisms Planned for July 27

Dear Family,

Things are going very well here in Surprise!
 
Basically, we have a lot of work to do with the area combining that happened last week. It is a lot of fun. We have ninww lessons scheduled for tomorrow. A lot of stuff falls through on the mission, but who knows, we could have all nine of them tomorrow! Combining investigators has been cool. I am really looking forward to the future of the Estrella Branch. I made it a goal this week to attend this branch one day when it is a ward. I know it will happen. It could even happen while I am serving here! We are teaching some strong Priesthood holders. Ignacio and Luz are set for the 27th. They are getting married this Friday too! Matrimony! and Mexican Pot Luck! It will be good, especially since they are SOLID. The only rivals to ever come close to Mario and Glenda. Anyway, they are reading everything we give them and bearing their testimonies in Sacrament meeting and highlighting stuff in the Gospel Principles class. They are doing work. It is really easy to teach prepared people! Funny story how they were found--four missionary teamwork! They live in the "El Mirage Triangle," a highly debated few blocks of El Mirage that went to the Estrella North Elders when we split the area. The majority of their work is in that small traingle so it is good that it went to them. But anyway, We had ran into a man named Martin a few months ago three different times in the library and on the street. He wasn't super interested but Elder Cardoso and kept trying to get his info, schedule a time to go over, and pass it on to the other Elders. We finally did and they went over. Ignacio listened in on the lesson and they left him a pamphlet or BOM or something. At their follow-up with Martin, Ignacio asked when he could get baptized. Kind of a cool question haha. The Lord is preparing more and more people as his work his hastening, and a lot of the time, we find the prepared in long processes like that. It was neat. Ignacio and Luz are so prepared. They are set for the 27th with Maria. In Gospel Principles, Maria was like "hey I thought I was getting baptized that day? Move my baptism forward!" There is a lot of work here!
 
Yes, I am back in car. It is very very boring. I miss biking so bad! El Mirage was meant to be conquered by bikers haha. The good news is that either in 6 or 12 weeks the areas should be split and I will be in Estrella Sur for even longer. Hopefully, I get to train!! Elder Miller is the bomb. He is from Seattle, speaks excellent Spanish, and we have a LOT in common: Tall, awkward, white people, we both sweat A LOT, and just everything going back to our experiences in High School and with friends and growing up are similar. He plays volleyball and soccer which is different. He is our District Leader too. And he puts up with my snoring.
 
My fragile pool of investigators is kind of rummaging along right now. We have to be patient with the time of the Lord! Maria and Clemente are still kind of plodding along. Rene is still loving everything. Jose WILL be baptized. He knows it and we all know it. We just need to work with his wife more and see that he continues to keep the Word of Wisdom. Melina has been hard to reach but she is still solidly keeping committments and is still set for the 27th as well.
 
Well, I have thought about goals a lot as of late. I made a bunch this week. Tanto for my whole mission como for right now with Elder Miller. He and and I set a goal to get mission standards of excellence at least twice while we're together. They are the numbers set by President Taylor for each companionship. It has happened once since I got to Arizona. But I know the Lord can grant our righteous desires to help others come unto Him according to the work and sacrifice we put forth. And if not, we will have acheived success in everything we do in the process of trying to achieve these goals. Hold me accountable to this goal!! We need to find new investigators, and keep all four people we have on date for the 27th!! Suena bien?
 
My mind is really scatter-brained right now. Sorry if this email is crazy. I know I am forgetting a lot. The week has been wild because of transfers and combining areas. A couple more things: While making calls to invite people to church yesterday Elder Miller and I watched a bird die of dehydration in the shade by the door to the church. We tried to feed it water but it was beyond saving. HAHA.
 
Next time (just whenever) you send a package could you send me a black shoe-marker or something that can put black on the scraped parts of my shoes, a bleach wash bar so I can rub stains out of white clothes, you've sent me one before. And a few more drink mixes. Those are awesome! I am doing perfectly fine with the heat. Really. I got more thirsty going to High school than I do here because I am drinking so much.
 
Thanks for all the prayers that uphold me out here. Keep Clemente in your prayers that he can receive an answer from the Book of Mormon and Melina that her progress continues. They are who I am thinking about a lot now. I know I'm experiencing miracles left and right. I just pray that I recognize them and am able to act on the promptings that come as well. Tonight and tomorrow we have three lessons planned with NEW FAMILIES! We are really looking forward to them. Pray that they go well, they feel the Spirit, and hold me accountable to them this week if you can remember :)
 
Sounds like Anaheim, Vegas, the family, Japan, and everything else going on is a lot of fun. Good job Dad for being the one who works! Haha. I guess Evan has a job too what is it? And Mom your job is the hardest so you win.
 
Livin' the young life in Youngtown!

No comments:

Post a Comment