Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, July 22, 2013

My Own Phone

Dear Family-
 
Yes it has been odd wheather for two weeks. A lot of clouds, humidity, and a little rain at night sometimes. It comes in bunches. And the lightning storms are pretty dang cool. We have seen a lot of lightning but haven't heard any thunder--kinda weird. But yeah- it is monsoon season right now. It will end in a week or two I think then August comes super super strong. I have heard it is the hottest month and a white member told me when I was on exchanges this week that he has lived here 35 years and he doesn't remember a June hotter than this one. I didn't think it was that hot but we will see how August goes. I will be back on a bike August 12th so bring it on! Yes, in interviews President told Elder Miller and me that we will be going back to our areas with new companions. It will be cool. Hopefully I will train!
 
Interviews were fantastic. I love President and Sister Taylor. Their love for us is so strong and mine for them grows every day. President asked some very special questions to us and The Spirit just flooded the room for me. It was one of the most special experiences for me in my mission up to this point actually. I learned a lot about myself, how I can improve, and most importantly, about my love for the Savior and His love for me. It was a neat experience. We also watched the movie "2 brothers" about the two Washington Mormon brothers who grew up together and served missions in Chile and Cambodia. It reminded me a lot of our family. A LOT. It is really neat. I would definitely recommend it to all of you because their is a lot for every person in our family to relate to. I thought a lot about Shortboob. I mean Evan.
 
So funny fact- Elder Miller and I both have phones haha. It is acutally pretty funny because only the assistants and us have phones each. We are basically running our own areas while we are together so we are able to get a lot done with two phones. It has contributed to some disunity though which we are really working on. But, I have my own phone! Haha. I feel back at home.
 
The Investigators are moving on well. I would say one of the best things that has happened with an investigator up to this point on my mission is that Jose H. and his formerly-hard-hearted wife both came to church yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Jose texted me and said she enjoyed it. It was a miracle to see her. Jose was so so so happy. We were so happy. I will be here at least nine weeks longer so I REALLY hope to be here to see them both baptized. We are going to the Mesa Temple with them in three weeks so that will be special too. Everyone else is moving along fine. Clemente's heart is actually changing a bit. We started the lessons over with him. He asks more questions, is much more awake for the lessons, much friendlier to us, and is better at reading the BOM. We still need to get him to church though. We're working. Rene said he would like to get baptized--just not to get baptized only to leave the church. He is on the right track. Ignacio and Luz had their Mexican wedding at the church and that went great. They and Maria L. are still on track for Saturday. It has been a lot of (fun) work getting the baptismal program ready. We are excited. Ignacio is still studying hours a day and inviting his friends to the lessons. Omar... He is still insanely attached to the Bible and that awful 3rd to last verse in REvelations but he is still asking questions, reading the BOM a little, and we left him with the "17 points of the true church." A non-church-made pamphlet that basically says that according to the Bible, our church is the only true church. We are hoping that breaks down the barrier for Omar. The others are moving along fine too. Last week was my first in Surprise that we didn't find a new investigator. It was kind of sad. Too much driving and not enough asking for refferels. We need new people.
 
Well I hope I didn't bore you again this week. It has definitely been a good one and another fast one. Thanks for the emails and happenings of home. It is good to hear from Bountiful with the weekly letter from Dad and email from Mom! So Evan is dating? That is funny. I don't know what else to say though. You have my blessing. Haha. Is Evan on the marriage hunt yet? Is it a different world in your social interactions as an RM-Bachelor? The baseball news has been music to my ears. All of it. Sounds like Boston is on fire! And those two things about the All Star game gave me goosebumps oooooh yaaaa. I don't need a messenger bag. At least wait until Christmas is fine. My backpack and camelback are both great. Sounds like the summer is super busy too. Can you believe school is a month away? 7th, 10th, and 12th grade were like three of the best so you'll all have fun. Also Mom will be kept really really busy haha. I wish I could think of something funny or normal or everyday that happened this week that I could share. My mind is kind of a mush right now and I don't think I'm as sensitive to trivial happenings as I could be so I will keep my eye out for Jake moments this week. I almost forgot my name was Jake :(
 
I forgot to mention this last week.. the PIZZA WAS SOO GOOD!! It was perfectly timed. We ate quite a bit before going to bed two Monday nights ago. Man that was good. Thank you very much. It sounded like it took a lot of coordinating haha. The delivery man was handicapped I think. Very nice sweet guy. I felt bad for turning him around the first time but the second time he asked us if we knew Becky Parry. And I was like OOOH YES I DO (because I love you yes, and because that meant the pizza was ours!).
 
Las thing is that I was on bike for one day on exchanges this week. It was good to be back for a day. I sweat a lot and was sore the next day haha. Good stuff.
 
Love you all. This church is true. The Book of Mormon is pretty much the coolest book ever written. Our Saviour Jesus Christ was resurrected too!!
 
Love, Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment