Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, August 26, 2013

Surprise is Facebook Official!

Dear Family,
 
We just got back from our Zone activity for the month. We spent a couple hours at the "Disney House." Some white member is super loaded and has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on Disney merchandise and decked out his house. It is more cluttered than Disneyland gift shops. I would never want to do that but it was fun to see. I will send pictures of it sometime.

Yesterday we had "seviche." It is one of my favorites. I was writing down everything it had in it so I can make it when I get home. I know everyone will love it. Especially Isaac! Ignacio and Luz made it for me, Elder Miller, and our two trainers. You dice up shrimp, let it sit in squeezed lemons for an hour than you add cucumber, chile (all mexican food has chile), cilantro, avocado, and a few other things, then you cover a hard taco shell with ketchup and dip it in. I had like eight servings. Good stuff.

Surprise is Facebook offical!!  It is definitely not without its problems though. I have found myself slightly distracted since getting on haha. It is weird to see stuff posted about me or on my page since I have left. But no problem. Man, Mom and Sam's last pictures of me got a lot of likes! haha. And I read on the side-bar that 3 out of the 5 people who have visited my page the most are Sam's girlfriends. Just kidding :) So I have had several names on Facebook; "Jake Parry," "Jacob Parry," "Edgar Parry," "Jake Fakahafua Parry," and many other dumb names that my friends talked me into doing and the problem is that I cannot change my name again!!!! I'm stuck!! I can't online proselyte until I am "Elder Jacob Parry" on Facebook. The assistants are trying to work through the problem right now.... Now I feel super dumb for doing stuff like that before.... Ay ay ay. And I am in the process of cleaning my whole profile in general. Hopefully, by the end of this week, I will start posting some things up. I am not worried about any of you distracting or doing anything wrong. We will find cool ways to involve you all in the work through this Facebook tool. One thought- so this is mainly for Dad, but did Jim tell you about the letter I wrote to him last P-Day? Hopefully it made it safe to his house. I felt prompted to write him and thank him again and see how he was doing. It turned out to be the perfect timing for the Facebook thing. In the next few weeks we can do cool things with him and his family if that would interest him. We could teach him through Facebook chat or Facebook video. Something else that would make the lesson super special for him and me is if Dad or Dad and the whole family sit in on the lessons. It would count as a "member present lesson" and Jim would be talking to two of his friends instead of two stranger missionaries. It would be easy: we just all get on Facebook at the same time and teach together through chat. We can do some cool stuff so be thinking about non-members or less-actives that you could introduce to mormon.org or Mormon videos or lessons with me or other missionaries online. I haven't really thought of any missionary work to do back at home unless you or the ward or extended family members can think of anyone. We can teach people and use members from any part of the world really. Even members from the MP5th or any of you. President Taylor stressed the importance of this being only just "another arrow in the quiver;" we will still be talking to everyone we see and doing all the regular missionary stuff (not tracting though!). And Facebook will be primarily used to focus on our proselyting areas. We will also have the chance to be the missionaries in the "chat with the missionaries" rooms on Mormon.org and since we will be going on the computers in the mornings and afternoons we will be talking to people who are online where it is night in places like Europe. So US spanish elders can chat it up with the Spaniards! Oh and President Taylor is the bomb. He reminds me SO MUCH of Dad. And a little bit of Coach Wall too haha. I mean Bishop Wall... How is the High School team doing by the way?

The two times I have been on Facebook they have kind of just made me angry haha. A lot of stressful cleaning up and we only have an hour a day. Little by little it will be ready. Do you know any other missionaries serving right now that have authorization? I know Rochester NY and a couple other AZ and a few Utah missions have it. Am I the only one you know getting going?

Church was rad yesterday. Hermanos Covarubbias, Miranda, and Godoy all spoke on missionary work!!! They are studs. It was the bomb. The Argentine wonder (Godoy) told every missionary in the congregation to get on their feet. Almost the whole chapel stood up. It was soo cool. Even Jose H. haha. Everyone is certainly thinking and preaching Missionary work in the rama. We just need to get things rolling. We are starting to have regular meetings with our new WML Hermano Cervantes so things are going better.

Jose is still progressing. He knows and believes so much and has such great member fellowship. In Mine and Elder Dodd's daily prayers for studies, meals, going to bed etc. we are praying that he gets an answer to his prayers. Because he is expecting the answer. He wants to know Jose Smith was a profet and that the Book of Mormon is true so he is praying and asking specifically. We don't know why he doesn't have an answer yet but we are doing everything we possibly can. I invite you all to pray for Jose this week; for him to receive an answer to his prayers and for him to recognize that answer to. He is ready to act on the answer and he has the faith it will come. He just needs it to come. It will come! Nothing super notable other than Jose this week. It has been a lucha since we have gotten back on bikes. This week was the sweatiest week of my mission! The yellow rings on my shirts disappeared because now there is no start or end to the spread of sweat. the whole shirt! haha. A lot of contacting around. We are doing our best and talking to EVERYONE. Rene's girlfriend has been in the hospital so we will start again there soon.

Scripture of the week: Daniel 2:44. Do you think Nebuchadnezzer saw any of this when he saw the stone rolling out of the mountain and filling all the earth? When Isaiah was saying that the Gospel would be preached through and across highways before the end would come could he have been talking about the "information highway?" Our Heavenly Father's plan is perfect. His work is perfect. It is being run by a large number of imperfect men and women but what we are undertaking is the BIGGEST rush to the harvest this world has ever seen. I am not going to lie, I have talking to so many more people who aren't nice, aren't interested, aren't patient, aren't happy, or aren't looking for any change than I have talked to people who are any of these things. But the Lord knows His children and He is finding ways to reach their hearts. Even the ones walking around in wife-beaters, earrings, sun-burnt skin, with tattoes up and down the arms, and no money who find wandering El Mirage day in and day out. Let us take joy in being instruments in our Heavenly Father's hands. As we strive to turn outward when we would normally turn inward, we can be the answers to others' prayerful pleadings for help and in turn, find some of our own answers to our prayers; Missionary or not. I love this Gospel. It makes me happy. I know our Savior died and was resurrected so that we could be. As the "Boob" would say; "God is good." 

No comments:

Post a Comment