Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Transfers: Destination Unknown

First of two emails today from Jake:  "You can really only take it six weeks at a time because you never know what's around the next corner."

I have told you how I have learned to just relax with each transfer and take them as they come as assignments from the Lord, but I have been humbled even more this particular transfer! For a number of reasons. The one that stands out to me the very most right now is that I am getting transferred... Last thing I expected!! Last thing Elder Miller and I expected!!!!! We are confused. The assistants and President (during interviews) have hinted at what would happen (the area would be re-split and we would both lead out our areas), but evidently, that will not be happening. We have no clue what will happen. On top of all this, I am training. So it looks like I will either be opening up a new area or coming into one without knowing anybody. Crazy. I will write more in a bit. Just know that I am super confused, but moreso, trusting in the Lord and confident in President Taylor's Spirit-guided decisions. I have no problems or concerns at all. I am going to miss this place.

Second email from today:   So again I am pretty confused and not really focusing right now and am short on time because we need to go fix our area books and pack and such. I love you all very much but this email may be a little short! Haha.

This week has been wild! It was a little sad too because Elder Miller and I had some bad luck/happenings with investigators. 2 of them fell off date. We went from 22 lessons taught last week to 11 this week. I know it is such a blessing to be teaching that much- but it was just a big drop-off. So we did a lot of driving and contacting people in our area books and planners. Little luck here and there. But still chugging along! We had stake conference on Sunday; 6 talks on Family History. It was cool. I love the focus the church is really putting on family history and missionary work now. Have you seen the new temple endowment presentation? How is it!? I heard that the two main actors are from the Pheonix Valley too. I wish I could go to the temple. We will this Christmas!

So I got the training call on Friday night. Actually, President Called Elder Miller's phone and told him to put it on speaker because we are both training! We are super excited. I am super excited. I am very super humbled as well (sorry for all the superlatives; I probably sound like a woman). There is a lot of responsibilty put into this assignment. I have heard a lot of stories about people knowing their trainers for 40 years after their missions and stuff like that (Elder Holland knows where his trainer lives and how many kids he has!). Cool stuff. We had a trainer meeting yesterday with President and the assistants. It was a meeting that wouldv'e scared the weak-at-heart haha. We focused on strict obedience, the importance of understanding the principles of obeying rules rather than just being obedience police, what we liked about our trainer(s) and what we want to exemplify and stuff like that. I was so blessed to have 2 trainers. Someone came up to me yesterday and asked who trained me and said "wow, you can trained by 2 bosses!" They are and I will remember them forever and hope to keep in contact with both of them. I hope I can foster the same, loving, relationship with my trainee. Evan, Dad; do you two both remember/admire your first companions in the field? Did you learn a lot from them?

It is really wild how the time is flying on the mission. I just realized that when I am finished training it will be November. And then that next transfer will be Christmas! Time is moving along.

I need some follow-ups and the things you have been telling me about! Did Sam get his Brave Quarters under :60? I remembered this week that my Sophomore times were 60 62 62 60 so let me know how he did! Has Arod been getting booed at Yankee Stadium? I kind of hope so and it sounds like I agree with you all the he deserves it. Are the Sox or Rays in first place? If the Pirates and Sox make it to the WS who will Isaac cheer for? Sounds like the Summer is still chugging along and finishing up. Sounds very very busy. And thank you for the package question. I will let you know this week what I can think of that I would need.

Thanks for all the emails! I am sorry this is so brief. I love you so much and have really felt your love for me so much since being on my mission. Yesterday I was reading a list of 9 things the President Hinckley said each missionary should take home from their mission. for 7 or 9 of them I was like "okay, I will work on that one," but for the one that said "gaining an increased love and appreciation for their parents," I just knew right then and there that I already had that. And it is true; thanks Mom and Dad. There is a lot I miss about home but you two are #1 and #2! (whoever puts more money in the next envelope can be #1).

Love you all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment