Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, August 5, 2013

Facebook in the APM

Dear Family,

Kennewick is my Elder Hobbins' mission and he actually got switched to I think Vancouver. I wrote him a couple weeks ago and he wrote me back and said that it was the first letter he has sent since he hit the field! It sounds like he really thought our companionship was as special as I thought it was too. I miss that man! He said he is already training his second missionary. I was kind of jealous haha. Not surprised- he is great. I wish I could tell you everything I have learned from this companionship this transfer however. It surely is the refiner's fire for me. I have never learned so much about leadership in my life than I have here as a Jr. Companion to the DL. It truly has amazed me. I definitely needed this lesson more than I would need one on leadership. It has been cool to see. The same kind of thing happened in the MTC. As for transfers- they are next Wednesday and the transfer has gone by fast for me too haha. Personally, I think two new Spanish missionaries are coming in and we are splitting-me to Estrella Sur with the bikes. That is what President esentially told us at interviews. But he can be a loose cannon haha. Or at least the Spirit is. Well that is what I am hoping happens. We taught 24 more lessons this week. It has been hectic. Very fulfilling and incredible to see the work and progress. We are finding the prepared right now. I don't know why Elder Miller (Hughes, Cardoso, and those in the future) get to be the ones to see and enjoy it but here we are and we are working. My testimony grows daily of the hastening of the work and the preparation our Heavenly Father is making for His children. I had a thought this week (after 3-4 weeks of being pretty confident that I would train someone new next transfer) that I will not be training. I don't think the Lord is ready to give me that trust. I still need more refining. Who knows though. Who cares. I have seen too many missionaries (pardon me, but morons haha) who set their sites on something for transfers and wish away the time until then only to be disappointed. Whatever happens will happen because the Lord wants it to happen; what more could anyone need or want? I will email you next Tuesday about it.

Let me tell you about a great lesson. Wednesday night. Elder Miller and I went on splits because there are a lot of people to teach (both of us were actually teaching in my area-Estrella Sur-haha yes!) and I went with Mario S. (remember the recent convert?) to Rene's. Dora was finally there so we could teach her. Rene is still moving along solid. We are really pushing for him to be baptized the 24th. But Dora had several questions, doubts, and curious inquiries. She asked about some guy named Jeff who is Mormon and got put in jail or something. She said that made us look bad. Then Mario comes in. He used an anology of Christ's 12 apostles: "chosen" and apostles to the Savior, but one betrayed Him and another denied Him thrice. Mario also quoted James 1:5 and looked up some D and C scriptures about Church organization when she asked what President Aguirre's job is. MARIO WAS ON FIRE! He is on fire. I was amazed. Rene and I barely talked the whole lesson. Mario sounds like a 10-year member. Dora and Rene both came to church!!! Dora asked more questions. Miranda and Covarubias answered them all. They are studs. Our Rama is full of studs. Jose had an interview with President Aguirre just about baptism and his desires to be a member. That went super well. Another family came to church. Life was good this week. Ignacio bore his testimony in sacrament meeting about prayer. He looked like a TWENTY year member. I am going to give him my suit on my way out of El Mirage haha. We didn't find any new investigators for two weeks and we found six this week! One of them is Mario's son. We are getting the whole family tree there! This week was good.

Huge things are happening. I don't really know where to begin because this week was HECTIC. I'll start by explaining how things went down in Zone meeting! The Zone leaders informed us that we will be getting Facebook by the end of the month and that one district [the district that has been testing Ipads and Iphones all summer (1 of 5 districts in the world)], all the ZLs, and the Sister Training leaders already have it. WOW. It gets better. One of the church leaders (forgot the name; seventy or something) told the ZLs that missionaries going online is the biggest thing to happen in church history since the Restoration. I really appreciated the LT Perry quote that Dad sent. Very true; 2013 is already very huge. And Evan and I were both missionaries this year! Que Suave!! Kind of crazy: We will be using the Facebook Accounts that we used pre-mission. Changes will have to be made to pages haha; but not a lot. The ZLs explained a little about how it will happen; 'hypothetically speaking' if I had any non-member family member I could have a lesson over video chat with a member from the MP5 in attendance. I will be able to chat with non-member friends from High School and try to teach them. I find it funny that the ratio of people serving missions to non-members at Bountiful High School is like 10 to 1. Haha. This will be HUGE for people outside of Utah and the States. I was thinking of Elder Cardoso a lot this week because of some of his very close friends and family members who are not members way over there in Brazil. And he already has facebook too. This really is so huge. The ZLs told us about what Lee Donaldson (some missionary authoritative figure who was the Mission President in the District 2 episodes) told them in a video chat about the importance of the Work of Salvation Broadcast that we had in June. He said that the #1 most important part of it was Matthew 24:14. He just straight-up whipped out that verse and told us all what is up!!! The Gospel will be preached in all the world then the end comes. Just like what Mom said in her email. The Spirit hit me like a brick wall when I read the verse and continued to punch me softly in the face for the next half hour as we talked about it. That is the best way I have to describe it haha. If no one else's words convince you--just take my word for it. What is happening is VERY REAL. I know the Lord is making His final preparations. We are in like verse 74 of Jacob 5. So that is what is happening. Don't be scared :D Be SUPER EXCITED!! We have literally been saved for this specific time for whatever purpose. Yes, it will take some tidying up in our lives and actions. But there is nothing to be worried about. The elect, all the covenant people of Israel--Every member of the church--have the duty to carry this great message to prepare the world for the Savior's coming. The Lord foreordained each and every one of us to be alive for this time. I feel so confident and excited for the things that are happening. We all should feel that way! Okay enough with the Apocalyptic... One point about the Zone Meeting and what President Taylor has been telling us is obedience and "tightening up." I have really appreciated this stuff. A LOT of trust has been put in this Mission. I have so much APM pride right now!!!!! But moreso, I can feel the weight of a very serious responsibility in a crucial time. President Taylor has brought to light again the importance of obedience to prepare for online proselyting. He has introduced "tightening up" rules--nothing new--that we have to keep in mind so that we are super-prepared for what is to come. It includes such things as making sure we run 20 minutes and do 10 minutes of stretching or strength exercise every morning, 60 minute meals, no service projects during studies, being on-time for bed, waking up, and studies, only getting together as a zone on P-Day once a month, and writing President first in our weekly emails, and plenty of other things. The mission is tightening up (Last October they did the same tightening up and November was the 3rd highest baptismal month on record for the mission). Elder Miller and I have been taking all that he tells us very seriously.

One of our ZLs told us that overall, Facebook is only an hour a day on our schedule, obedience is the key. I agree--but Facebook is going to be pretty dang cool!! haha.

That was kind of the highlight of the week. APM PRIDE!!! I'm pumped.

Mom- You don't fail. You always seem to pull it together, I am not worried!!! haha. That is fun that Caroline and mom are in St. George. I hope it is not too hot-- sissies hahaha. Thanks to Evan, Sam, and Isaac for all the emails! Good stuff. Football and school starting was always my favorite time of year.

I wish I could remember everything I wanted to say to you all! Crazy week. It is fun to be a part of everything. Remember- The Lord is in charge of this work-- from Facebook to Arizona to member-missionary work to China. Whatever we are all doing are just little things that the Lord uses to make huge miracles among His Children. I have come to know that in a very really sense here. We do what we can but the work is A LOT bigger than this one companionship in El Mirage. We do what we can and with everyone serving in wards and missions all across the entire world--online and off--we are all moving together as one gigantic force. I love this work. I love my mission. I love Elder Miller! I love my investigators. I love you all! Most of all, I love our Heavenly Father--and that's why I'm out here. I am serving because I love Him and want to repay Him the best way I can. I know the Book of Mormon is the Word of God and that it is a literal sign of the Gathering which is hastening today. I know Jesus Christ died and was resurrected. I know that temples are houses of Gods. Do a session for me this week! I super super miss that place. Love you all, Get excited, get involved, be leaders! (And like all my posts on facebook in the coming months).

Love, Elder JAKE Parry 

PS I don't know if Mom, Dad, or Caroline could help me out with this but I would like to save the 900 or so pictures from my facebook profile somewhere (a disk or a USB drive) if possible. I may need to delete a lot of them over here pretty soon haha.

PSS I remembered a couple things-- there have only been three ideas/proposals in the past 15 years to be immediately accepted by all three members of the First Presidency and Facebook to missionaries was one of them. In whatever meeting it was where Elder Nelson found out about the idea he jumped up out of his chair and yelled "YES!!" Kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment