Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Monday, March 17, 2014

I am the Gardner Here and I Know What I Want You to Become

Preparations are getting even crazier for the Tolleson open house. We
are excited. The stake gave our district 1200 invitations to flood the
neighborhood surrounding it. We hope to see some great results for the
April 12th open house. It will be weird because as missionaries, we
just stand at tables and only speak when spoken to. We will see how it
goes! The building still looks really nice, smells good, and is
bringing in new and old visitors. We were busy this week. It was nice.
We were going from lesson to lesson for the most part. We found many
opportunities to teach and invite to church. Unfortunately, Rosa
Machuka still has not gone because her husband is lazy (her words).
Victor Olivo, his wife and three little kids came! They are such a
beautiful family!!! They had their hands full with kids and had to
leave early because one was sick but they seemed to like it. We cannot
see them until Saturday so they are really in the Lord's hands this
week. Karina came with Fabian and their kid!!! It was so awesome.
Karina is special and she has a sincere desire. We will get to the
bottom of how committed she is this week.

Our District is HUGE! Transfers were wild. Two new spanish sisters
came to the district and our district added two companionships,
including our apartment mates. It is based on who goes to church here
so we are all together now. It will be a lot of fun together. All the
Elders and Sisters are cool. Now I am not in the "sister
district" anymore. Man, that was wild haha. Let me explain before you
jump to conclusions on what that means haha. Working with Sisters is
just a lot different than working with Elders... They both have
different strengths--Sisters have more--and their challenges are very
different Ay caray. I learned a lot in one transfer with the 4
Hermanas. It was a blast! They made my life easy.

We visited a lot of fun people this week. I don't know if you saw the
pictures of me on Facebook with the Waldos and the Berrellezas. I love
these families and they are strong in the Gospel so it feels good
being in their homes. I hope to bring the same Spirit to my future
home that I feel here in the field in the homes of so many awesome
people. The Spirit really guided us AGAIN this week to visiting and
teaching the right people.

I am learning a lot about the Atonement still out here. Man! There is
not a better place to learn about it out here. I know that sounds
vague, and this is going to sound cliche, but you would just need to
be out here to realize how much the Atonement is really hit on. Every
thing we feel about our investigators, members, and less active
friends--he has felt. I got so frustrated this week. Saturday night I
was letting it all out so Elder Ramos could hear haha. I think he
enjoyed listening. I feel fine because I know I am doing my best and
that is all that is asked--but it is so frustrating to see so much
lethargy in the people who have separated from the church a little. It
hurts to see good people disrespect sacred covenants, put off
worshipping God, and just be pathetic. I know that sounds cold, but I
want people to realize they need this Gospel BACK. It is hard, but I
know Christ has been through it all and that he says the same about
active members of the church and missionaries like me. Elder Ramos and
I feel like we go through things that only 3 people in the world are
at the time; us two and Christ. It is a really nice thing to fall back
on--all-the-time 24-7. We have been showing the Elder Christofferson
Mormon message on the Gardener to a lot of people. Probably daily. We
are cut down so we can grow and only the Gardener knows what we can
BECOME. "Why could you have done this to me?" "Look little shrub, I am
the Gardener here, and I know what I want you to become." Take that
into account when communicating with our Father in Heaven. Do we
invite correction?

I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment