Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Friday, February 22, 2013

Last MTC Letter

February 22, 2013

Hello family!

The time has flown and it is finally here for me to leave. I am so excited. Although, yesterday all during ¨¨field day¨¨ I was very pensive about entering the field and doing all the stuff for real. Part of me kind of worried what I got myself into. I think it´ll be harder than I have always thought it will. The MTC was great and I learned so much, but I am sure that I am not completely ready and that the Lord will need to chip off many chunks of this block of marble before it´s a Michelangelo piece. Nonetheless, I am very excited. I can´t wait to drive up north, maybe see a little bit of Bountiful, meet my trainer, and most of all, to meet President and Sister Taylor!!!! I have been thinking about them a lot lately. And praying. I pray for the people of Arizona every day. I want some soft hearts that the Spirit can testify to through me. Oh and President and Sister Taylor sent me a handwritten birthday card! How cool is that?! They are thinking of me too. BTW, I report at the travel office at 5 am and my plane leaves at either 8:10 or 8:30. I don't remember. But look at that window and predict when I will be calling you with my $40 in quarters and that's when I will call you haha. Just be ready I guess, and if you have specific instructions then send me a Dear Elder.

My Birthday was awesome! Mainly because I was in the MTC though. I have never had a birthday in my life where I didn´t think about myself as much as I did last week. I think the only other birthday in my life that will be able to compare to it is the one I have next year haha. Throughout the day I often forgot that day was even special. The same went for Elder Hobbins. My teacher asked how my birthday is, I said BASTANTE MAS o MENOS (sufficiently more or less) and it's true, that's how it was. I didn't mind at all. I love being dedicated and committed to the point of forgetting myself. I hope to take that into the field with me. However, I did receive some very nice notes, letters, and packages. Mom and Grandma, thank you so much, those packages were a blast. Oh and be sure to tell Merissa Woodbury that she has the teacher I´ve had. Hermano Urquhart, and he is the best teacher in the MTC. She will LOVE him, as have I.

Thank you so much for being such great examples of giving and consecrated what the Lord has given us.

I have seen so many friends around here! It is quite nice. I am sending a picture in a few days that I hope Sue or Wilkey see, quisas. It is a super Bountiful picture. And it is epic! Anyway, friends just keep coming in, and Bountiful is a good representative here at the MTC. Richard, Me, and Elder Poulton all leave on Tuesday. So we´re pretty pumped. Needless to say. Sam got reassigned from Argentina to Charlotte, NC. In fact, six people in my zone got reassigned to state side. Argentina, Mexico, and Brazil. Not fun to get called there haha. Congrats to the Browns! WOW!!! That is such a cool time for them. Let Mike know that I really look up to him and know he´ll be a great missionary. I´ll see him at his homecoming!!

Grandma has cancer!? How did that even happen. She is in my prayers and thoughts. I bet the worst part of this for them is they just want to serve rather than go through this. That´s hard. I love them and am proud to be serving alongside them. If they end up not getting to finish serving in Hong Kong, I´ll work even extra hard to serve for them on my mission!

They´ve split up the Phoenix mission!? What the heck. Keep me updated on that for sure. I want to still have the Phoenix temple in my mission, and President Taylor, so let me know I´m a little nervous haha.

Elder Hobbins and I spent our last day at the temple this morning for who knows how long for the both of us. We decided to go early, and, reverting back to my Tuesday traditions, we got there at 5:30 to do initiatories before our session. Then after, we did a sealing session for an hour. That was so neat. We were in there like five hours again together. The leader of our sealing session told us to imagine our investigators in white. He said that baptisms are great, but we teach and convert so families can get sealed for eternity. That´s what I am after! I will look at every investigator as one who will visit the temple one day and take the covenants with the Lord. Elder Christofferson said that covenants are spiritual power. The more, the better. And if we live them right, we will be blessed endlessly. I also learned this week about how commandments are blessings in our lives. Be grateful for commandments! I am. I love them in my life and in ours as a family. There will be more commandments in the Celestial Kingdom because commandments make us happy. How great that is! Oh, and if some of the converts or investigators I work with down in the AZ get sealed in the temple sometime later, you know I´ll be coming back down there! I hope you don´t mind me heading down to my second home at least every other weekend for fresh tacos, my Spanish friends, and to relive serving the Lord! Of course, I have to earn this right first. And that starts Tuesday for me. Thanks for the permission.

Maybe, heading out into the Field may not be a big deal for any of you. You say goodbye to me once and I'm gone for two, it doesn´t really matter where if you miss me, I am just gone. But me leaving is such a huge deal. So much will change. It will be a whole other phase, not only to my mission, but my life overall. It'll be my first time living out of state since I was a little Sox fan. My heart lies with the D backs now though! Anyway, the field is white already to harvest, not brown ready to be burned--no more fake investigators. The Lord has prepared people and it is up to my faith and commitment that can bring them in.

I hosted new missionaries Wednesday. It wasn't very eventful. I saw Josh Cardinal and his whole family in their little white Acura. That was kinda fun, but I didn't get to host him. Elder Dearden from Bountiful is in my zone which is pretty fun. Lots of new missionaries though, every week. Beds keep piling up and up. I took some pictures of those. We got a bunk in our room. Luckily no new people til we leave. Then that week there should be six missionaries for six beds, four closets, four desks, and insufficient drawers. What will they do....

My Spanish is fine. I am confident. It´ll come. We´ll see in the field how it goes haha. Spanish isn't as important as teaching the Gospel or understanding investigators or having the spirit though. Don't worry about me.  I was so sick Saturday and Friday. But I feel so great now! Thanks for the medicine and everything you send. I love you all.

You´ll get a call Tuesday morning. Not sure exactly what time, I gave you some clues though. I hope this email suffices. I love you all. Thanks for the support and love.

Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment