Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Friday, February 1, 2013

The CCM

This place (CCM, it is called that in Spanish ((say-say-emmay)) not sure exactly what, but it's the Centro de something de los Misioneros) can also be called the Garden of Eden, because there is not any progression, and you are close to God, and it isn't until I can partake of the fruit on February 26 that I can start to enjoy myself and be tried. I can't wait. But I am learning so much here and I love it. Not many bad days. Hardly any bad times at all. Just tough work, and fun learning.

So our Branch President (Dennis) just happens to be a scholar of Welsh Mormon history haha! It was way cool to talk to him in our first interview a while back. He was drilling me on some of my ancestors (because apparently they are famous) and I am pleased to say that I knew most of what he asked me about. He also taught me some cool stuff. But President Dennis assigned me as the music coordinator for our zone. I love it! I get to pick the hymns for meetings and choose people to play the piano and assign special numbers out. I have always wished that I had special talents in music but unfortunately I never did develop them. I love to sing; I always have, and I have loved it even more at the CCM. Elder Hobbins and I have gone to every choir practice and have performed for both Tuesday devotionals. We sang "Lead Kindly Light" and "Jesus Once of Humble Birth" --very powerful songs I loved both. I am not a great singer, but I enjoy singing me heart out and getting better at it.

So my teacher in class went to Pheonix, Spanish speaking and got back in August! She is our second teacher and was primarily our first investigator under the alias of DORIS. I love talking to her about Phoenix. It has been getting me soooo excited. Her Spanish sounds great and she was only out there 18 months so that made me feel great.

Man there is a lot of snow falling everywhere. I wish I could get one last ski day in! Haha. Oh and I thought of what Dad said about eating and sitting a lot here at the CCM and he was right: Sunday we had lunch before Sacrament Meeting at like 1:30 and then after Sacrament Meeting and before choir and the devotional we had dinner at 4:00. It is ridiculous. I am eating okay though. I'm tearing it up at basketball during gym time, I can lose weight in the field easy, and frankly, I don't really care what I look like haha. So it's a win-win-win-win. I got my "spirit animal'' from the zone leaders this week. they choose a character from a famous show or something for every missionary in the zone. I am CRONK from The Emperor's New Groove. I really like that character so it is awesome. They say I am nice, I look like him, but I'm not dumb like how he is. I have enjoyed trying to make people laugh by impersonating him. Apparently my scar is really showing through my hair because a lot of people have asked me about it. A lot of people seem interested and concerned. I'm just glad I survived so that I can serve the Lord on my mission, and have a rad scar. Oh and a new missionary came in Wednesday into our zone--Elder Porter, he is so fun and cool. He one-upped me though... He's from Holladay and lives in President Monson's home ward.

That is so crazy that Dad got two tickets from France. HAHAHAHAHA! I tried to think of when that could have specifically happened. But I can't. I just remember 20 red lights that we slipped past and 10 times where we had to speed up for some reason. Haha two tickets sounds pretty okay. Thanks for the trip. Wonderful memories. And thanks SO MUCH for all the DEARELDERS, packages, the stuff I needed, prayers, and love. I feel so loved at the CCM and it is nice at the end of the day to unwind with a Dear Elder. Hearing about home is fun. I am not home sick at all really. It is way nice. But I know my heart lies in Bountiful (Until FEB 26 when I'm in Phoenix). I got homesick very briefly twice yesterday. Once when someone was singing a Killers song :( and the other time was when I was using the new towel you sent down this week. Great towel, but every time I see it I am reminded me of Balboa and Hawaii haha.

This week I was taught a lesson on leadership. It was very cool and very humbling, and is still kind of a process. Elder Hobbins is the District Leader and everyone loves him. It's weird to say that he reminds me of myself, but let's just say it's like I'm watching myself befriend people and be a leader and being happy. That doesn't sound very humble, but the experience I am having is a humbling one. I am learning what it is like not to be a leader and to cooperatively work with someone with the same strengths as I. Everyone loves Elder Hobbins, and people like me too, but I am being humbled. Does that make sense? I am enjoying this experience for one reason: it is exactly what I need. I want the Lord to know that I can be teachable and that, like the rough block of Marble that Michelangelo made into the Pieta, I can be made into a masterpiece by our Heavenly Father through trials and lessons. I am not a leader right now, I am learning how not to always be one.

A person from the Seventy named Whitney Clayton spoke to us. He went to the U of U. I'm pretty sure he's not the one who we know from Duke basketball/Boston. Right? Haha anyway.

I am ROCKING the parted hair in the CCM here. I do it every day. I feel so classy and I just love the way it looks. I don't think I've parted my hair since like 5th grade, but I throw gel in every day and swing my hair over the top. Richard makes fun of it but who cares haha. I will try to send pictures one day haha, but as you can see, I am in a HUGE rush.

I saw Mackynzie (Hermana Parry) on Wednesday!!!! It was so neat!! And surprising because she saw me and just yelled my name. We hugged in front of the whole cafeteria which was funny. But it was so cool to catch up with her. she is a little worried about the language, which I realize most people over-react about in here, but she was so happy, and It was lovely to see her. Still no sign of Elder Murdock and a couple BYU friends. Next week is when they all come in. Oh and Elder Thompson told me that Griffin Clawson (one of my friends) just got called to Stockholm. How cool!

The two Christlike attributes I am working on every day here are humility and patience. Probably not a big surprise to any of you, but those are the two I need! I am happy to say that I am working hard on them though. It is important for me to be able to have those skills in my life. ETHER 12;27!!!!

I wish I had more time to talk about the spiritual aspect of the CCM. I really think we should get 60 minutes to email. I will try to write more about it next time. But I love it here. I understand there is a lot I need to learn from stuff here before Arizona. The investigators are great practice. My favorite part about them though: I am starting to have a genuine love for them. That's what it's all about--loving them. Oh and yesterday I had a very great lesson!!! Best one yet. Elder Hobbins and I actually had a real long great happy conversation!! The language is coming the Spirit is strong and the church is true!!!!!

So Elder Trusty was telling me this week about how he gave his "farewell testimony" at his Maryland ward then he drove to the Ravens-Colts game to catch the second half. He said that the whole stadium went nuts for RAY. Everyone was yelling RAY!!!! RAY!!!! RAY!!!! He said he teared up while he was there. No doubt I would've too. Go Ravens. Love you all.

Love you family.
Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment