Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Friday, February 8, 2013

Soooo Many Missionaries

Familia! Como estan!? I am loving it here. Let me try to type as fast as I can for you with my weekly happenings.

This morning Elder Hobbins y yo served in the temple! (my first time!) Some ladies pulled us aside after our session and asked if we had time to help with clothes. We went in the laundry room and ran some of the clothes through a machine to fold them up. It was cool! We are going to do it every week now. I love serving in the temple.

Elder Hobbins has a cousin on our floor back at the rooms who is waiting for his visa to Argentina. He and his companion have been here since AUGUST 23!!! But good news, they got their visa two days ago!! We are so excited for them. They leave next week. They are such valiant and great examples to us of serving the Lord no matter the circumstances. Que WOW!

I have seen so many missionaries come in who I know. Elders Hansen, Seljass, Murdock, Bell, Hulet, and many more. No sign of Rock yet--very disappointing. I talked to Elder Murdock for a couple hours on Sunday night because we had time. There are SOO MANY missionaries here. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Everyone outside the MTC says it is the greatest time to be a missionary in church history and everyone in Salt Lake wants to get inside the MTC to see what it is like. It is cool. Great time to be a missionary. We got 820 missionaries this week and from what I hear, they are only kicking out about 1/2-2/3 of all who come in weekly. The MTC is barely staying afloat. There are new cots stacked everywhere across this concrete jungle that is my home. It is cool.

I did see Cepta Eyring this week. We got a picture! So you'll probably see it. And there are a lot of calls to Japan tha'ts right. Two people on my BYU floor just got called to KOBE, leaving the same day in May. Let me know about the Browns' calls for sure! and any other calls from the class of 2013 that you hear about. I understand that process is underway for them already! Caroline should know what's going on with people. 

I was reading the last section of the D&C a few days ago in Personal Study. WOW!! I wonder where this stuff has been my whole life. Read this section and pray about it because it is SO cool and SO applicable to us. Verses 30-35 are so perfect for Scott Monte and Karl. I thought of them the whole time reading. My imagination of them and my feelings for what they could actually be doing were never as strong as they were when I read this. Oh and also--we sang Come Thou Fount in a devotional together as an MTC and I thought of this song being at Scott and Monte's funeral. With each new line and verse to the song the Spirit hit me so strong. Each time it did, it was so cool to have them in mind as I sang. I love singing. I wish I were good at it haha.

More homework! You know the best story of the Atonement in the Scriptures? It is the Story of Alma's conversion (in my opinion--(not the Alma with Abinadi; the naughty Alma). Alma 36 is where he retells the story to his son. It was amazing to see how quick Jesus Christ was to forgive him. Because he had the desire to repent, and he did it with his whole heart, he was forgiven. I loved reading this story. Read the whole thing one night :D But..... The best verse out of them all, the one that says the most, is 24! That verse hit me with such force as I read it. It applies to me personally and perfectly as a missionary. The Atonement is such a great gift from God and so beautiful, but how much more beautiful is it that we can share this gift with the world. I cannot wait to show people, who are prepared to hear about it, the gift of the Atonement and the wonders it entails. My Patriarchal Blessing says I will testify of the Atonement with a strong conviction, something along those lines, So I have been studying it and looking for examples of it in my own life. I know the Lord will prepare ways for me to testify of the Atonement to the people of AZ.

My Patriarchal Blessing is phenomenal. So many beautiful promises and warnings. I have read it several times since coming here. I like that I can be delivered from danger on my mission. I am sure I will see this blessing fulfilled in numerous ways as I serve. I am working so hard right now to have the Spirit with me always or I won't have the help that I cannot live/teach without. That's why I excused myself from basketball earlier this week. Haha. I got too competitive and it wasn't something I wanted to think about. Foursquare now!!!

I got a birthday present of money from grandma and grandpa! Hahahahaha!!! Yes. I cashed it and it is mine now. I feel so independent. But it reminded me that I do have a birthday coming up. Wow. HAHA.  I forgot I even have one, I guess it is a good thing I am having so much fun and learning so much.

I came into the MTC with Spanish scriptures already engraved and everything. It turns out my zeal for the work and excitement to get ready got me a little over prepared. One example of this is that they gave me a Spanish set my first day here. Guess what though!? I bought a cool case for them and I am going to give them to one of my converts on the mission! How cool would that be!? I am going to find someone who I really truly love, and maybe if they are preparing for their own mission the present would be perfect! :D you dig?

How come no one in the world told me you have to wear a suit every day here at the MTC? If any of you knew this, shame, because I was completely left in the dark. Haha jk. But seriously, if you know where that not too good brown suit I had is then can you please send it? I'll wear out whatever is left of it. Thanks.

There is a new elder in our zone. Elder P from Holladay (I think I already talked about him). But anyway, he comes from a family of antis, and he's in the same ward as President Monson. I love him so much. He is 6'5 and about 300 lbs maybe? But I have grown really close to him. His dad sent him a mean letter a few days ago and I tried to console him. I told him to read D & C 31. I thought it applied well to him, especially his family part. But I wrote him a letter (I will always love writing letters) and we hang out a lot. I pray for him.

Terrible news about the St. Johns and the Manus. I put them both on the prayer role today and pray for them nightly. They are both such awesome families. What a nightmare that is right now! I love them.

Check out 2 Nephi 25:26. I have always known about it, but I read it once and studied about the Book Of Mormon and I am convinced that it is the thesis for the whole book. A perfect verse to describe the Book. LOVE IT.

We had an impromptu lesson last week. The investigator asked about grace and Elder Hobbins and I didn't know what to do. I whipped out verse 23 of that same 2 Nephi chapter. Not too shabby?

I love you all. I really do hate only 30 minutes on the computer, but I don't break rules for anything. It's been a stressful half hour, but I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for all the letters, thoughts, news, dearelders, I'll try to do something cool this week so you can hear more about me haha.

Love,
Elder Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment