Elder Jake Parry

Elder Jake Parry
Arizona Phoenix Mission

Friday, February 15, 2013

Travel Plans in Hand!

February 15, 2013

Helloooooooo Family!!

How is everything going at home? I miss B-town and you guys of course. But I love it here! And I haven't gotten any Dear Johns from anyone so that's always a good sign! Just kidding haha. No one is waiting. I can't believe how the time has flown in here. It is such a cliche to say, it really is... But it is true!! Tomorrow is my one-month mark which came way fast, and... I got my travel plans yesterday!!!!!! I am reporting to the travel office at 5 AM on Tuesday, February 26th. I will be in Phoenix at 10:15! HOW COOL!?!?!?! I have learned a lot, and I am excited to keep learning and recognizing the Spirit, but nothing will compare to the field!

Elder Hobbins and I taught our two favorite lessons this week. We taught the two hermanas in our district for one and Hermano Urquhart (meastro) role-playing as Christian as the other. The were both the sweetest feeling lessons. I loved the Spirit that was present in both of them. In the first one we committed one of the Hermanas to baptism. I extended the invitation and it felt so real!! I felt like she was an actual investigator. And she said yes!!!! Haha, first time a girl has said yes to me, but I owe it all to the Spirit anyway. The lesson with Christian was so awesome. I bore my testimony about how the Atonement can cleanse him and he can find joy in it. The lesson was so simple, we didn'tt do a lot of talking, he talked to us, he could barely read so we helped him with some verses, and he expressed a sincere desire to be baptized. I can't wait until this starts happening for real. Wow! And I want to hand out my first Book of Mormon in the airport--that is my goal!!

Thanks for all the love from home: The suit is useful, the addresses and newsletters are awesome, and the Valentine's box was so much fun! Big shout out to The Davis and Clegg families for their very loving Valentines package. All the cousins sent something to me. Each one! It was the neatest thing. I got very nostaligic after reading all them and looking at the pictures :D.

I keep thinking about Dad's friend Jim. The one holding onto my bike, who said that he would clear up his whole February 26 just so he could meet with me and drive me up to my first area even if it's in Nevada. I already love this person. I am starting to feel like it would be a true shame and failure if he didn't accept the Gospel, or if I failed to extend it to him. I want to share my testimony with him so bad. I want him to read the Book of Mormon so he can understand how true it really is. I don't know how it'll all work once I hit the field, but I want it to work out with Jim. Whatever happens though, the Lord will find a way!

A few random things:

You would be so proud of me being ready and getting places. We are not late to anything. And I get dressed and ready soooooo fast!! It's like I have matured to that point already haha. Anyway, I get ready for everything much faster than Elder Hobbins so I wait, and now I know what it has felt like for you all, all these years. Props to you the most Mom!

Elder Hobbins' cousin got his Visa and after 5-plus months in the CCM and he left this Tuesday! It was a cool experience to have known both of them. What heroes they are in my life. I will send pictures of these studs sometime. I love them!! And be sure to warn all Brazil and Argentine missionaries preparing to go: Visas are a nightmare. Not Chile at all though. Elder Lant from Alta HS and my friend from BYU just got reassigned from Brasilia to Salt Lake North--our mission haha.

I was carrying a bunch of dishes for some people in my zone the other day and a bunch of Koreans talked to me while I was in line to drop them in the kitchen. One was trying to play rock paper scissors with me. I was so confused and surrounding. It was very very embarrassing, but I dropped the dishes to the floor and they shattered. The whole cafeteria went quiet. It was awfully embarrassing. I don't even know why I'm typing this haha... Maybe it helps with my humility to get it off my chest.. But I even repented of it.. haha Just don't let a bunch of Koreans try to distract you with dumb American games when you're busy doing something else.

Could I get some more stuff:??? Please..

The Raising the Bar talk? I got two talks about preparing for a mission and being worthy pre-mission. didn't seem to apply to me haha. Aren't there talks on this be SWK or Gordon B. Hinckley?

The Line of Authority paper? It has all the names on there, but it's Dad's paper. It has his member number on it.

Stuff that could be sent straight to the miossion:

More wash pouches (those are money and the smell so good!!)

Spiral notebooks (I bought like 50 with extra meal plan money, in your sewing room.) can u send exactly two please.

MY brown sheets/ bedding

BHS 2012 Phone and address directory. Caroline should have a new one this year. and I can stop bugging you.

Isaac!!! Keep reading the Book of Mormon and staying involved in the Missionary work by sharing your testimony like that to my friends/your friends who are serving. That is way cool. Also- You are in a GREAT spot in the Book of Mormon. Enjoy Isaiah's beautiful poetry, and ask Dad to explain (simply) about some of the history in 600 BC Jerusalem, then get excited for 2 Nephi 25-31. Keep in mind that these scriptures basically define everything I teach as a missionary and everything we believe in as far as returned to Christ is. It is said pretty simply. Study hard :D especially chapter 31!

We sang Faith of our Fathers for our choir song this week. How cool! It is such a powerful hymn.
I have had a sore throat for most of this week. I really don't know why. I am paranoid about being sick because it basically paralyzed me for half of fall semester and so many people here are getting sick and thrown off their routine that I want to stay far from it. I am taking about ten Advil a day and going to sleep as soon as I can. I will not miss a day of work or learning for it though, not worth it. The point is, you don't need to worry! I am doing so well here and getting fed (well)(too much), I feel great and I love it, of course. Don't worry about me :) thanks for the prayers though, I can feel them!

Elder Hobbins and I decided that a day (half day actually) off of basketball was enough for us to cool down and realize it's not worth getting competitive about. I scored all seven points in a game I played and I'm starting to do even better. It's so fun haha. I rock. Con humildad.

I read MSH 28:3 the other day. And I am trying to develop this love for my investigators. It is true charitable love. So it'll be tough. But what a magnificent feeling I can have for them!

Well time is closing in on me, like the walls in the Star Wars movie on Han Solo, Lea, and Luke. Yeah? Anyway, The sky was so clear last night and it was warm.. .I saw so many stars in the sky and it was beautiful. So beautiful!!! It reminded me of the world around me and all the REAL non-members the lord is preparing for to hear the Gospel through me and others. I can't wait to get out there and declare the Gospel. I can't wait to see the sunsets, be warm, and walk around real neighborhoods. The stars reminded me of the verse in Moses about how all things testify of Christ. Find that verse, it is great! I love this work I love all of you! Keep in touch :)

Con amor Elder Jacob Karl Parry.

No comments:

Post a Comment